Notices

witch EMS reflash are available on my99 ecu ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2007, 09:41 AM
Zak Shaker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default witch EMS reflash are available on my99 ecu ?

Hello,
might sounds strange, but I spent a week diging in different forums to look wich EMS were available for the my 99 STI type R, I found plenty of different system but shortly noticed that most of them do not work with this specific model. Cobbs AP doesnt seem to offer product, openECU doesn't work, neither enginuity, am I right ? that is sad news
For now I have only been able to understand that Ecuteck would work on it. But enginuity is more to my liking approach... also I haven't been able to understand if ECUteck offer a real tunable products that can be tuned by myself, not a Certified tuner. We don't have tuners in Mauritius anyway. hence why I want a very user friendly EMS, like my emanage Ultimate used to be on my previous car, I have a wideband LC1 and plan to tune the engine myself to cope with our low octane gas, then modify it slowly when I will feel confident with it.

So please, could someone tell me witch reflash package are available for my99 ECU (JDM STI Type R) other than ecuteck, I want to be able to edit my maps in a user friendly software

thanks

Last edited by Zak Shaker; 01 May 2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01 May 2007, 12:10 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Zak,

unfortunatly as you have found there is not anything available at present.

There is not enough 99~00 classics in US which is where most of the EMS stuff has been developed.. no kernel available or something.

Best bet would be an Apexi PowerFC..

Simon
Old 01 May 2007, 02:17 PM
Zak Shaker
Scooby Regular

correct me if I'm wrong, but power FC does not include boost managment, right? I would have to add a boost controller on the side. (I have one "datasystem" dual setting from previous setup, but was about to sell it with my emanage ultimate).
Old 01 May 2007, 03:25 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

the PowerFC controls the boost.. you get 4 boost settings on the commander..

the boost control kit is there because the early impreza has a low ceiling map sensor, and the later impreza the 2 port boost solenoid.. the boost control kit contains a new map sensor (not needed on the 97~00) and a 3port boost solenoid (not needed on the 93~96). The 2port will still control the boost but not as efficently as the 3port and sometimes you cannot get to run the amount of boost you want to.. but the 3port solenoid off the earlier car is very cheap and does a very good job.

Simon
Old 01 May 2007, 09:25 PM
Zak Shaker
Scooby Regular

hmmm, Interesting Simon.
So ej20 version of power FC allow you to choose from 4 boost settings. nice, and what are those 4 boost values if I may ask ? my99 has a 2 port boost solenoid then ? I understand it would be enough to start and then could be upgraded when needed. for now my main worry is to setup the engine to cope with low octane asap (I'm getting the car tomorrow).

The good thing about powerfc commander is that is shows knocs, so it should be easy to fine tune low octane with it. the downside is that it doesn't retard timing when it see knocks you'll better get an eye on this commander !!
also, standard ecu has a wider range to play around between its basic map and the other one, so it should cope with different petrol quality. petrol in our region vary from time to time. too bad we cannot remap those ECU ourself

when I was searching wich EMS to install on my previous car, I did study a bit the datalogit option to power FC. that is also a nice addition to play with

BTW, does the intercooler spray will still work? and all standard feature? otherwize, I still have my emanage ultimate...

Last edited by Zak Shaker; 01 May 2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02 May 2007, 12:19 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

the four boost settings are definable to what ever you want.

you have a few choices.. set up to crap fuel and then when it fluctuates better it makes no odds and fluctuation worse also makes no difference.. jkust might take a few tanks to be sure you have it right.

you can pull timing globally if you did notice knock..

Simon
Old 02 May 2007, 06:50 PM
Zak Shaker
Scooby Regular

Thanks simon, that is great help.
I have picked the car up today. lovely beast
I will study Apexi again, and search a bit deeper to finalize which EMS suit my case better. that APEXi just took the first rank for know !

Last edited by Zak Shaker; 03 May 2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02 May 2007, 08:09 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

no problem.

Simon
Old 03 May 2007, 07:06 PM
Zak Shaker
Scooby Regular

BTW, intercooler sprayer will still work? it would mean it has its own controller then. what about DCCD? no problem to encounter with power FC ?

Last edited by Zak Shaker; 03 May 2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06 May 2007, 04:47 PM
Zak Shaker
Scooby Regular

here are pics of my ecu, just in case it would help