Notices

Roling road disaster ( Fueling probs )

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2007, 05:54 PM
Marcuscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Roling road disaster ( Fueling probs )

Well i finally plucked up the courage to take my 99 turbo 2000 on to the rollers to see how she was running. I have a previous print out showing 238bhp at the wheels. Its got a 3" system from the turbo, induction kit and a chip or re-map of somesort. I was hoping for around 230 just so i know its running as it should.

However...... When i hear the man say ' AT LEAST IT DIDNT GO POP ' straight after the run i started to worry. He said that the air fuel mix was all wrong, its running very lean. Which is not good for a turbo motor. The print out shows that the power was very unsteady and the torque was lost at about 4200rpm. The power was made at about 5000rpm and it only managed to produce 181 at the wheels. Normally the power is higher up the rev range.

I couldnt understand it though because on the way to the rollers it was going like stink and pissing all over my mates Focus ST which came out at 209.
So after the run i decided to cruise home and think what i could do. This is when i noticed that it was not running right atall. It was driving as the graph suggested and losing interest at about 4500-5000rpm. Next step was to perform the fault check on the ecu and it came out with three faults. 12, 45 and 53. I reset the ecu and it cleared the faults, so i took it for a spin and it still drove like crap. I was then off camping so i had to leave the car for a couple of days.

When i got in the car this morning it seemed to be driving pretty well.
I AM CONFUSED. Can anyone help me or suggest what the problem may be????? I was thinking a sensor of some sort. Would it be a good idea to get it on the diagnostic machine in an expensive garage

Could it need re-mapping?
MAF sensor?
Oxygen sensor?
A million other things?

Any help would be great. Thanks for reading :-)
Old 30 April 2007, 05:58 PM
R5_GTT_Steve
Scooby Regular

Have you looked to see what 12,45 and 53 relate to?

*EDit*
12Starter Signal
45Pressure Sensor
53Antenna53Anti-Quick Operation Mode53Communication Error (Time Over)53EGI Control Module EEPROM53IMM Circuit Failure (Except Antenna Circuit)53IMM Control Module EEPROM53Key Communication Failure53Reference Code Incompatibility53Use of Unregistered Key

Cant be any of those.....

Last edited by R5_GTT_Steve; 30 April 2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 30 April 2007, 06:02 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Well, without knowing what the codes mean (do a search - there's loads of info ) it would be a wild guess.....

However, the MAF is the main achillies heel on the 99 (I had two go fubar)

Best of luck sorting it though

Dan
Old 30 April 2007, 06:59 PM
Marcuscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R5_GTT_Steve
Have you looked to see what 12,45 and 53 relate to?

*EDit*
12Starter Signal
45Pressure Sensor
53Antenna53Anti-Quick Operation Mode53Communication Error (Time Over)53EGI Control Module EEPROM53IMM Circuit Failure (Except Antenna Circuit)53IMM Control Module EEPROM53Key Communication Failure53Reference Code Incompatibility53Use of Unregistered Key

Cant be any of those.....
I didnt think it would be anything to do with the 53 code but the 45 may indicate something. I have heard that the MAF sensor is a bit naff and the fact i have an induction kit doesnt help. Dont fancy splashing out on a MAF to find its not that. Surely it would bring up a MAF sensor code. Or would it? Its very frustrating.
Old 30 April 2007, 07:07 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Where did you take it, and do you have a dyno print out ?

Mark.
Old 30 April 2007, 07:08 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Excuse my ignorance, but surely a tuner/mapper would be able to correct/ solve this, i wouldn`t even be driving mine hard at all if it`s running lean...
Old 30 April 2007, 07:16 PM
Marcuscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffi
Excuse my ignorance, but surely a tuner/mapper would be able to correct/ solve this, i wouldn`t even be driving mine hard at all if it`s running lean...
And neither am i. And im sure a tuner/mapper would be able to sort the problem but if its something simple like a MAF sensor or similar then it would save me spending 500 quid on a re-map only to realise it was something else. I just thought someone may hace more of a clue than me. I took the car to JANSPEED and they dont have to software to re-map my car. Still confused. hmmm
Old 30 April 2007, 07:25 PM
jimbo54
Scooby Regular

The MAF on my 99 wagon was faulty, didnt show any fault codes ,symtoms are hesitation, and missing particularly on boost excessive petrol consumption,sound familiar?
Old 30 April 2007, 07:38 PM
skywalker23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimbo54
The MAF on my 99 wagon was faulty, didnt show any fault codes ,symtoms are hesitation, and missing particularly on boost excessive petrol consumption,sound familiar?
Thats just sorted me out,got a 99 wagon,and its' missing especially under hard acceleration,and splutters on boost,and also the hesitating...Cheers jimbo....
Old 30 April 2007, 09:40 PM
young'n wrx
Scooby Regular

Default ......

Hi mate when you go on the rollers the tester should be able to tell you of any probs. cant beleave he just turned around and said yep youre engines suffering now f-off and find out what it is! thats crap customer service!

could be fuel pump makeing it run lean? mafs are notourious on 99's quite cheap to buy though.

hope you get it sorted. c
Old 01 May 2007, 12:49 PM
Marcuscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by young'n wrx
Hi mate when you go on the rollers the tester should be able to tell you of any probs. cant beleave he just turned around and said yep youre engines suffering now f-off and find out what it is! thats crap customer service!

could be fuel pump makeing it run lean? mafs are notourious on 99's quite cheap to buy though.

hope you get it sorted. c
Fuel pump eh...Hmmmm. Theres so many things it could be and i just cant afford to change them all. How much is the MAF sensor? any ideas?

The tester just said it was runing very lean and that it could be any number of things. Not much help really i agree.

DONT MEAN TO SOUND TIGHT BUT HAS ANYONE ANY IDEA HOW IM ACTUALLY GOING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM WITHOUT CHANGING EVERYTHING?
Old 01 May 2007, 12:58 PM
x-isle
Scooby Regular

I'd say it's the air flow meter. Sometimes, they can be faulty without actually registering a fault.

A registered fault is only when it's broken and not faulty.
Old 01 May 2007, 12:58 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Marcus, give David @ API in Leamington a call, he`s a no bull genuine guy, he`ll give you some advice and also a price for your MAF...

01926 614333

.....Pete.
Old 01 May 2007, 01:03 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel pump is about £85 (uprated one) i think the mafs on your model are about £80 (as you only need the sensor not the entire housing)