Notices

RE: Max Power for 05 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2007, 12:36 AM
JDSWORD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Max Power for 05 WRX

What is the maximum power output I can go to with the standard internals on an 05 WRX. I'm about to fit a STI TMIC, STI Turbo plus 500cc injectors. Which after mapping plus the other mods I have done will give me (according to Powerstation) a comfortable 320bhp. However I will also have the option of upgrading to another bigger turbo, triple core intercooler and larger injector's in September which give the car it's on a WR1 420bhp.

The question is what internal work on the engine would I need to do?
Old 28 April 2007, 12:38 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Pistons and rods for a start
Old 28 April 2007, 12:52 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I would also think about fitting Sti 9 tuftrided crank, ACL Race series bearings and some uprated head bolts while the engine's in pieces. A cheaper option maybe to find a descent STI short engine.
Old 28 April 2007, 01:21 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Also, as you've not mentioned it, gearbox..?

Whilst the later newage 5 sp appears to be stronger than previous MY's the nearer to 400ft-lb you get the more likely is you're going to have to nanny it. This IMHO, defeats the object of going for big power..!

It's down to you, my 05 WRX is running a similar spec (with BRD map) to your first choice and made 332 at PS recently. IMO this is a very quick, real world fast road car, without going too mad. Remember, the WRX is ~100kgs lighter than the equivalent STI which equates to around 30bhp..!

Also, you will need brakes sorting. I found that even uprated pads, hoses and fluid not up to 300+bhp (hence some AP 4pots on the way..)

Common sense would say we'd have been better off starting with an STI, but then where would the fun be in that..! Along with the look on peoples faces (usually STI drivers) when they think it's only a WRX..! Keep the ironing board on the boot..

I
Old 28 April 2007, 09:56 PM
JDSWORD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Also, as you've not mentioned it, gearbox..?

Whilst the later newage 5 sp appears to be stronger than previous MY's the nearer to 400ft-lb you get the more likely is you're going to have to nanny it. This IMHO, defeats the object of going for big power..!

It's down to you, my 05 WRX is running a similar spec (with BRD map) to your first choice and made 332 at PS recently. IMO this is a very quick, real world fast road car, without going too mad. Remember, the WRX is ~100kgs lighter than the equivalent STI which equates to around 30bhp..!

Also, you will need brakes sorting. I found that even uprated pads, hoses and fluid not up to 300+bhp (hence some AP 4pots on the way..)

Common sense would say we'd have been better off starting with an STI, but then where would the fun be in that..! Along with the look on peoples faces (usually STI drivers) when they think it's only a WRX..! Keep the ironing board on the boot..

I
Jasonius I have only now thought aboy taking the ironing board off as I have changed the bonnet vent to the STI 8 version (ready for the initial mods). But I agree with you . Thanks for the post back and let me know of what direction you take in the future
Old 28 April 2007, 11:10 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

I have a completely standard looking 1995 Wrx except it's a 2.2L stroked engine with hybrid turbo etc etc etc, Sti owners get very suprised when they cant keep up
Mate has an 05 Sti with PPP and even he struggles to keep up with over 300Hp
I prefer the stealth look myself but then each to their own I guess
Mines about 300ish Hp and to be honest I think it's enough for the road
Havind said this I have all the suporting mod's for a much bigger turbo wouldnt take much to strap one on I suppose
Old 29 April 2007, 09:03 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

For the road (real world fast road) I definately think there comes a point of diminished returns, where power v's drivability becomes a real issue.

The trade off between peak figures and low down response beyond 300-350 bhp, imo, negates any advantage to be gained on the road.

Then again I would say that having around 330-340 bhp..