Notices

decatting an 02 STi with PPP - Remap??

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2007, 08:03 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decatting an 02 STi with PPP - Remap??

Just picked up an 02 sti with PPP, looking to decat it, what I need to know is will I need a remap, will the PPP ecu learn the new mods.

Basically I had a 96UK car with PPP. decatted it and never remapped. I never got any cel lights come on and had no problems with the car for best part of a year, so am confused if remap is required straight away
Old 22 April 2007, 08:06 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

no point mate, the decat will give you such a small increase over the sports cat it's not worth the headache come MOT time. have a search on here, it's a top piece if kit.

if you do go for it though, i would guess it'll throw up the CEL light though.
Old 22 April 2007, 09:02 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

I decatted my old 02 STI PPP and while it gained about 20 bhp it developed a few flat spots throughout the rev range. I eventually fitted some headers and had the car remapped and the improvement was massive. Richard Bulmer checked the car out before he mapped it and said that the car was running pretty safely but just wasn't making anywhere near its potential power.
My decat never caused the cel to come on but unless you are planning a remap I wouldn't bother with the decat as the ppp cat is pretty good
Old 24 April 2007, 08:29 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

Anyone else got a view on this?
Old 24 April 2007, 08:43 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

IIRC On 02 STis after a decat it could go far worse due to boost spikes. without remap they had to fit different size restrictors in the boost pipework.

Scooby Dan says

Tony
Old 25 April 2007, 12:14 AM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Very little difference between sports cat and decat. Would think u could get away without remap but obviously a remap would give u better bhp regardless. PPP map is generic and not optimised.
Old 25 April 2007, 08:45 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

PPP may not be optimised to a particular car but there's more variation due to the weather than the tolerances between individual cars (if they have the same mechanical spec). A car mapped on a particular day may work really well that day and give a better result but has it been tested in all the other temperature conditions, atmospheric pressure and humidity that the car is likely to experience in it's life? Not possible in the time frame that one customer can afford to pay for.

We actually found a small loss with a decat compared to our downpipe in our early testing, probably down to the volume in the downpipe that the gasses can expand into with properly designed inlet and outlet cones and a low density cat.

Regards

Mike
Old 25 April 2007, 11:48 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Tony says there were issues with boost spikes when decatting the Bugeye Sti, not always solved by drilling out or fitting different restrictors in the pipework so remap me thinks

Shaun
Old 25 April 2007, 07:54 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the comments guys