Notices

derestricting a wrx import

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2007, 12:22 AM
spleenmachine
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default derestricting a wrx import

can anyone tell me how to (or what to buy) to derestrict my wrx as it hits the 112mph limiter? also could anyone shed some light on what this process actually entails? thanks in advance for all your knowledge guys.
Old 15 April 2007, 08:50 AM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

I've just read yer other thread. You have a 94 import right? Its a pretty simple job. You will need to buy a speedo converter, about £50, yours should be a cable driven type. It will convert KM to MPH and at the same time delimit your car. They fit either on the back of the speedo or from the cable drive on the gearbox.

To fit, speedo type - (this bit not essential but makes much easier) Remove the lower plastic panel from the drivers footwell 4-5 screws hold it in place. Lie on your back in the footwell and reach up to the speedo cable and pull it from the speedo, fit converter, refit. Be careful not to pull the cable as they are only just long enough for the job, it will easily come out at the other end.

To fit, gearbox type - If you shine a torch between the intercooler and the turbo you will see the cable point upward from the gearbox. Fit thingy job done..
Old 17 April 2007, 03:31 AM
spleenmachine
Scooby Regular

thanks for that dan, yes its a 94 wrx import but its had the clocks converted to mph already and ive been reading on here that it could be fuel cut as mine has a straight thru exhaust from the down pipe, ported and polished heads, sti tmic, and different ecu, although it drives fine (apart from top speed) it hasnt been remapped. as the last owner took his uprated ecu from his past wrx and had it fitted to the one i bought without it being remapped. What do u think (or anyone else for that matter) does this qualify for possible fuel cut?
Old 17 April 2007, 12:18 PM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

My converter is not working and so i took it off so the clocks show i am doing 180mph when i get up to that speed it feels like fuel cut when the converter was working never got it. I think it is the limiter going to get one this week and try it as got done for speeding last night and did not want to tell the officer i did not no how fast i was going. It could be yours is broken they are nown for it
Thanks Neil
Old 17 April 2007, 12:56 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Don't know the details but I was under the impression that the kph to mph converter effectively raised the 112kph limiter to 179mph just as a result of the conversion. Therefore, there is no need to delimit the car.
Old 17 April 2007, 01:04 PM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

Yes not sure how it works but the delimiter on flebay for £50 does the job
Old 13 June 2007, 11:52 AM
konceppt
Scooby Regular

how does the mechanical type derestrict the 112mph limiter?
if it fits behind the clocks then i dont get how it removes the restriction on top speed???
Old 13 June 2007, 10:58 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

im slightly bemused as well.

my understanding

Kph turns the speedo cable quicker,hence 100,000 km is about 60 000 miles,cool

fitting the little black box slow down the cable to the required speed to read in mph,cool

so,from where does the ECU read the speed the cable spins round to remove the 112 limit ?

i can see no electrical connection on the speedo to send anything to the ECU

anyone care to explain ???

cheers
Old 14 June 2007, 09:53 AM
konceppt
Scooby Regular

i think that firstly it depends what car you have.if it is a classic then the restriction is not on the ecu.it is on the clocks so when you fit the converter it doesnt remove the restriction it just shifts it from 180kph to 180 mph therefore you no longer get to the speed where the limiter is.
if you have the later type then the delimiter is an electrical unit and one wire goes to the ecu.