Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2007, 09:52 AM
Torchy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scraping noises

Hi guys,

I am posting this for a friend as his account doesn’t work...:

I have a question for you, and i’m posting it here because i can’t figure it out.

I have a v5 type R, and there is a faint (ish) scraping noise coming from what might be the turbo.

When i am driving in a straight line there is no noise
When turning slightly in either direction AND i’m in gear there is a faint scraping noise, like the brakes are binding a bit.
When steering to the left or the right, the pitch of the noise changes slightly like it is binding on something else, as if the brakes might do if you had a loose calliper / ball joint or something
The noise is there when accelerating OR decelerating
If i press the clutch or take the car out of gear it stops (unless i rev it a fair bit)
If i straighten up it stops
I thought it was the brakes binding but when i press the brakes it doesn’t stop, and the scraping noise seems to be a constant pitch regardless of speed

So.. it seems like its the turbo, and as i have a steel cone filter (which allows the turbo noise to come through) i assumed it was the turbo spinning, but when i am going dead straight the noise doesn’t happen.

If i open the window it is no easier to hear, so the noise is coming through the bulkhead.

If i go really slowly it still happens, so i will get a friend to listen with the bonnet up whilst driving.

Anyone have any ideas?

I’d really appreciate some help!!

Cheers
Old 01 April 2007, 02:07 AM
dan_rowland
Scooby Regular

if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it
Old 01 April 2007, 07:46 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

i doudt it is the turbo as you say noise is same pitch regardless of speed and it happens accelerating or decelerating
if it was the turbo i would of thought the noise would change at different engine speeds when the turbo is spinning faster

difficult to diagnose a noise without hearing it but i would be looking elsewhere for the noise
Old 07 April 2007, 09:15 AM
dan_rowland
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your response. I will be fitting an airbox in the next couple of days (to replace the colinder I have at the moment). If this quietens it down it will help me diagnose. cheers.
Old 16 April 2007, 01:52 PM
dan_rowland
Scooby Regular

fitting the airbox didn't make it any quieter, it sounds like something metal spinning and gently catching on something.. if the car is stopped at about 4k revs in neutral and you dont touch the steering wheel it isn't there, but as soon as you apply pressure in either direction in to the steering wheel it starts to scrape again. even if it is about 1/2 lock in either direction and you dont apply pressure, its not there. The noise only appears if you apply pressure in any direction, which makes me thing its the power steering pump.. it is easiest to hear when you are in the car with the windows shut. if you open the bonnet to hear it you can't.. maybe because the engine noise is masking it.. . but when you're in the car it does sound like the sound is travelling up the steering column. anyone any ideas?

cheers!!
Old 16 April 2007, 02:32 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Have you jacked it up and spun the wheels yet?
Old 17 April 2007, 02:07 PM
dan_rowland
Scooby Regular

well if i push the car along with the engine off there is no noise.. and the noise happens when the car is stopped.