Notices

Help with loss of power & engine warning light!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2007, 09:36 PM
LLL
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with loss of power & engine warning light!!

Hi,

If anyone out there can offer me any advice on the following problem, it would be greatly appreciated (car is a 2003 WRX PPP):

Last night drove home from work and all was fine. Left the car standing for about 40 minutes then went out to pick someone up, and noticed immediately that the car had lost a load of power. The turbo was still spinning up and everything sounded fine but the best way to describe it was that the engine had lost its turbo - at around 3000rpm, I could feel a very slight boost, but nothing like what it was 40 minutes earlier. Good way to describe it would be if I tried, it would now tke me about 8/9 seconds to get to 60mph instead of around 5.

Didn't have much time last night so parked the car up and left it until this morning. When I started it this morning after drivig about 40yds the engine warning light came on so I parked the car up and got a lift to work.

Booked the car in at my good old local garage to be hooked up to the diagnostic machine but when I got home from work and started the car, the engine warning light did not re-anunciate and stil hasn't.

I had the diagnostic ran anyway and apparently there are 3 faults that have been logged, 2 of which according to the guy in the garage (who knows his bananas!!) were nothing to worry about and wouldn't cause the kind of symptoms the car was having (he did mention what they were but I was preparing myself for the bad news and never took them on board). The 3rd one was the Cam Angle Sensor but I can account for this as I disconnected the sensor about 3 weeks ago while I was doing an oil change. That doesn't mean to say that it now has a fault on it however.

I have the car in a mates garage where he's going to spend a few hours tomorrow checking bits and bobs out looking for leaking / disconected hoses (pressmably trying to find out why I have little or no boost).

My main questions are as follows:

If there were a problem asociated with the cam angle sensor, could it cause the symptoms described?

Is there any advice I can give my mate to help him, i.e. potential problems, areas to look etc??

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

LLL.

Last edited by LLL; 28 March 2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 28 March 2007, 07:01 AM
LLL
Scooby Newbie

??
Old 28 March 2007, 07:45 PM
LLL
Scooby Newbie

My mate didn't get a chance to look at the car today so if anyone can offer any advice I can pass to him it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, LLL.