Notices

Play in steering

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2007, 11:46 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in steering

Got a bit of a problem with the steering on my car, you can move the steering wheel from side to side about 1/4 inch before the wheels actually move.
When braking hard the car starts to wander from left to right even though im not moving the steering wheel.
Doea anyone have any idea what the problem might be ?
Needles to say it makes braking a from high speed a bit entertaining
tyres are all new and suspension has all been replaced recently, I have whiteline everything and the H brace etc any ideas greatly recieved!
Old 24 March 2007, 05:00 PM
evander
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres only 3 things it can be, rack, ball joints or the universal joints between the steering column and rack. From your simptoms I would say check out the universal thingy first, £100 from Subaru bye the way. With the engine off is there any clunking when you wiggle the wheel?
Old 24 March 2007, 05:17 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evander
Theres only 3 things it can be, rack, ball joints or the universal joints between the steering column and rack. From your simptoms I would say check out the universal thingy first, £100 from Subaru bye the way. With the engine off is there any clunking when you wiggle the wheel?
Thanks mate,

It doesnt clunk but does make a clicking noise ! and there is quite a lot of movement in the wheel before the wheels move!
Old 24 March 2007, 05:40 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

hi,had this on mine,if you get under the car and look at the rack there is a adjusment nut that will take out the free play in the steering,quick,easy and best of all doesnt cost anything,hope this helps
Old 24 March 2007, 05:45 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by millwrx
hi,had this on mine,if you get under the car and look at the rack there is a adjusment nut that will take out the free play in the steering,quick,easy and best of all doesnt cost anything,hope this helps
Hi mate your a star
where abouts it this nut then, to be honest im not sure where the rack is?
Old 24 March 2007, 07:16 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

hi,right then as you look at the rack from underneath,look at where the joint comes down from the colume area,and where it connects to the rack there will be a big nut just to the side of it,turn the middle part in the nut clockwise,this gets rid of the free play,make sure you do not over tightern it as the steering will go heavy,best way is to jack the wheels off the ground and lock the steering from side to side and make sure there are no tight spots,
Old 24 March 2007, 09:11 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

hi,right then as you look at the rack from underneath,look at where the joint comes down from the colume area,and where it connects to the rack there will be a big nut just to the side of it,turn the middle part in the nut clockwise,this gets rid of the free play,make sure you do not over tightern it as the steering will go heavy,best way is to jack the wheels off the ground and lock the steering from side to side and make sure there are no tight spots,
Brilliant thanks mate
Old 25 March 2007, 05:32 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi mate I have been under the car this morning, I think i can see the nut you mean I have tried to tighten it but it wont move I also tried to loosen it as well and it still didnt move it's kind of on the back of the rack nut in the middle with big thread around the outside just a thought but would both wheels have to be off the ground for this to work?
Old 25 March 2007, 06:01 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by james-wrx
Hi mate I have been under the car this morning, I think i can see the nut you mean I have tried to tighten it but it wont move I also tried to loosen it as well and it still didnt move it's kind of on the back of the rack nut in the middle with big thread around the outside just a thought but would both wheels have to be off the ground for this to work?
hi,yes on mine i turned the centre part,you may have to loosen the outter nut first
Old 25 March 2007, 06:46 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

hi,yes on mine i turned the centre part,you may have to loosen the outter nut first

Hi mate i must be lloking in the wrong place I just have a small nut in the middle of a big threaded bolt, as you look at the rack it where the uv joint meets the rack to the left on the back/top it only looks like one bit to me anyone have a photo ? would this cause the rack to leak ?
Old 25 March 2007, 09:12 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

A new set of Track Rod Ends sorted this problem on my 93WRX. £50.
Old 25 March 2007, 09:16 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dan83590
A new set of Track Rod Ends sorted this problem on my 93WRX. £50.
I have finally got to the bottom of it so to speak!
Im missing to nuts on the universal joint where it connect to the rack!
Having said this the rack is leaking all over the place so I think im going to get a new rack, how much would someone charge to fit it?
Old 25 March 2007, 10:10 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

£50 was for Track Rod Ends only. I had to fit them myself.