Notices

STI RA VERSION 1 HOW STRONG IS THE ENGINE ??????????????

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2007, 10:46 PM
thebailey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI RA VERSION 1 HOW STRONG IS THE ENGINE ??????????????

Hi all just a quick question thats playing on my mind i have 1995 sti type ra version 1 ive been told its the stronger engine than the other versions of the sti ra is is true? or just a load of rubbish if it is right what is the difference in the engines if any and is it as stronge and reliable as people say any help would be greatfull many thanks gav

Last edited by thebailey; 23 March 2007 at 10:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 23 March 2007, 11:04 PM
Lee D T
Scooby Regular

Hi fella,

I've got the same model, These engines are apparently stronger do a search for closed deck block, I think they are cast differently.

They have forged pistons, steel crank shaft, larger valves, blue printed engine assembled to higher tolerances.

At the end of the day they can still be broken.

Originally Posted by thebailey
Hi all just a quick question thats playing on my mind i have 1995 sti type ra version 1 ive been told its the stronger engine than the other versions of the sti ra is is true? or just a load of rubbish if it is right what is the difference in the engines if any and is it as stronge and reliable as people say any help would be greatfull many thanks gav
Old 23 March 2007, 11:23 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

I think the main difference is the block, the early r a and sti used the closed deck blocks instead of the semi.
Old 24 March 2007, 12:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an original STi, dont be fooled into thinking that the engine is that much better than the wrx, its not, the "real" STI's were not until v3, so even though your block (and the wrx's block on the early models) is closed deck, its not as strong as a later model for internals etc.

Tony
Old 24 March 2007, 10:10 AM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

So i have a year 2000 model ra v limited, how strong are they??

........Pete..........
Old 24 March 2007, 10:21 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffi
So i have a year 2000 model ra v limited, how strong are they??

........Pete..........

Well your v6 does actually have forged pistons unlike the v1 which is basically just a remapped wrx engine, the original STi and v2 didnt have red top engines (though some v2's did and some didnt) the v3 was the first "red top" but the 1 was more of a slight upgrade from the production line.

Tony
Old 24 March 2007, 10:35 AM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Well your v6 does actually have forged pistons unlike the v1 which is basically just a remapped wrx engine, the original STi and v2 didnt have red top engines (though some v2's did and some didnt) the v3 was the first "red top" but the 1 was more of a slight upgrade from the production line.

Tony
of course this is not all true !
i have a ver 2 sti 555 homologated car which DOES have a red top engine which has fully uprated internals and blueprinted from factory to a higher spec than stock factory sti cars .... but i also had a drag spec wrx type ra with serious mods and it was very strong indeed ! but you can kill any engine ! nothing is bullet proof except the skyline engines ! but if i remember correctly....subaru didnt start doing the proper sti type ra till 1995 . could be wrong....

Last edited by rabskyline; 24 March 2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 24 March 2007, 02:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by rabskyline
of course this is not all true !
i have a ver 2 sti 555 homologated car which DOES have a red top engine which has fully uprated internals and blueprinted from factory to a higher spec than stock factory sti cars .... but i also had a drag spec wrx type ra with serious mods and it was very strong indeed ! but you can kill any engine ! nothing is bullet proof except the skyline engines ! but if i remember correctly....subaru didnt start doing the proper sti type ra till 1995 . could be wrong....

No im quite right on the fact that not all v2's had red top engines and the 555's had the same engines as the normal sti's, and forget about this "blueprinted engine" lark, its just not true, they are built to higher tolerences but not that high
As ive also stated, the V3 STi was the first "proper" STi, its the one they ran on a different production line, not just taken off the wrx line

Tony

PS, these engines are no where near as strong as the latest semi closed deck blocked items that they build now
Old 24 March 2007, 02:30 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

So what`s the maximum bhp/torque you`d suggest running my v6 at safley...
Old 24 March 2007, 03:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by staffi
So what`s the maximum bhp/torque you`d suggest running my v6 at safley...
Depends on how you treat your car but ive seen fairly standard setups run about 325bhp and 290/300lbs of torque with a remap, will make it quite energetic on the road, but the mapper who maps it will give you a better idea when you tell them what you want

Tony
Old 24 March 2007, 04:26 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Depends on how you treat your car but ive seen fairly standard setups run about 325bhp and 290/300lbs of torque with a remap, will make it quite energetic on the road, but the mapper who maps it will give you a better idea when you tell them what you want

Tony
Cheers Tony, it`s being mapped @ API next week, i think Pat Herbon is mapping the car, forgot his last name

Last edited by Pete; 24 March 2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 24 March 2007, 06:10 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

No im quite right on the fact that not all v2's had red top engines and the 555's had the same engines as the normal sti's, and forget about this "blueprinted engine" lark, its just not true, they are built to higher tolerences but not that high
As ive also stated, the V3 STi was the first "proper" STi, its the one they ran on a different production line, not just taken off the wrx line

Tony

PS, these engines are no where near as strong as the latest semi closed deck blocked items that they build now
Tony i had this argument with you a while ago. ALL sti2's have the redtop but i do agree they are just a wrx basically with no real benefit over a wrx. The early sti1's were all handbuilt unlike every sti after this. Most have closed deck blocks which btw are stronger than the newer semi-closed. However i do agree that keeping the standard internals means the newer engines are stronger. The best plan is use an early closed deck with new forged internals!