Notices

Cherry red or white hot?!

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2007, 03:52 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cherry red or white hot?!

Its been a few days since I last used my credit card so I surfed along to SN to see what it was that I needed this week

Turns out I need a turbo blanket. Keep the hot things hot and the cold things cold. Sounded sensible to me so I joined in the Group Buy and have now ordered a nice shiny blanket

But...

I did that without a thought for the actual practicality of using said item

I have a UK MY98 running a number of mods including a replacement for my TD04 turbo - (VF28/29/30), not sure which one. Also an APEXI ECU with a map that makes ~1.25/1.30bar, dyno'd to ~309bhp. More about all of that here https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...08bhp-bhp.html

What I am wondering now is how far to the limit is the VF running? I believe it has enough left in it that it wont be running to the max and thus it will be a healthy and (safe in the blaknet) cherry red. However If it were actually being pushed close to the max and gets white hot I have been told the blanket could be dangerous

What I am looking for is a bit of comforting that the VF can cope with my setup and not have me worrying about it once its wrapped up. The advantage sounds good and apparently can give up to 50 degrees cooler under bonnet temp as well as reducing heat soak e.g. more efficient IC!

Would appreciate any comments about the whole thing or even just some tech info on the VF (even better with it biased to my mods).

Sorry for long post, my fingers ran away with the keyboard!

Molds
Old 23 March 2007, 04:22 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant really answer your question but I have a tiny vf10 that boosts to 1.2bar so I imagine any of those turbos that you mention will be quite happy running the boost that they are.