Apexi power fc & different boost settings

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2007, 07:40 AM
CkoTuHa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tunning RA STI ver2 MY96

To start it of I own RASTi ver2

The car is in a very good condition, it has sth lilke 78k kms on odometer and under the hood it seems bare too.
Stock, that is basically the reason I purchased it.

as the stock .9 bar pressure didn't seem all that rapid out of the box, compared to the S/Tb JDM Forrester I had previously.

I have fitted the Blitz i-colour boost controller
the HKS downpipe

That was enough to make it feel a tad quicker than the family wagon.
It was boosting at 1.23 bar and wouldn't allow go over 1.25 bar - as I got to the bbs, have made lots of uses of "SEARCH" - I now feel a bit more sophisticated - it was fuel cut.

In a month or so I got used to the cars attitude at 1.23 bar...but I did want some more torque...unfortunately - I had an accident I am a crap as a driver.

it all forced me to look for the new alloy bonnet, radiators, fog lamp, one headlight, bumper, grill...as all the front part of my scoob is gone now.

"Facelift", this word I've been looking for some time now:
You know - it is very hard to find the OEM alloy bonnet. Therefore I have contacted the Chargespeed guys on the internet and ordered their ver.3-6 gc Carbon bonnet, the OEM looking one. The srbpower guys, arranged it shipped for 1.5k USD the shipping itself is 780 USD.

I have to say that I had enough time to walk by foot to get some budget, since November...
Unfortunately, I've recently found out that the scoop and grilles are not included.

this is not the only things I have bought, I took a compensation instead of going to vacation a got following:
  1. Cwest grill (facelift, remember...)
  2. walbro fuel pump
  3. Koyo aluminum racing radiator (r1819, for the old legacy, but have seen a thread on nasoic - it fitted perfectly to GC8)
  4. zt-2 wideband with narrowband simulator and logging abilities
  5. Apexi Power FC + Commander
  6. PFR7Bs

now, my tuning experience is obviously lacking lots of fields and there are lots of blind spots for me as I am pretty novice to engine tuning and therefore I got here...

I got an algorithm fabricated to make my scoob run, please to all gurus and bbs members that are not limited as me - follow and correct me if I got mistaken:

the performance parts I got - walbro fuel pump, apexi pfc, wideband, boost controller will allow me to overcome the factory fuel cut seen at 1.25 bar...

I plan to run sth like 1.5 bar for daily driving, once I put all those parts.
I will set the Blitz i-color's duty and cycle settings so that 1.5 bat is achieved on any gear and held to the revs limit I plan to run the car.
This will be done before I fit the PFC, so that I don't melt the engine...
So, boost settings are found and I am pretty happy with them.

the wideband is pretty straightforward work once you get the labour installing the sensor in the downpipe - it has simulated narrowband - just wire it to the loom that is it.

I plan to use the wideband for closed loop control as well as for data logging for the afr, lambda obviously, rpm and other staff - to correct the fuel map so that it is not lean on high load and not over fuelling at low revs - to save fuel.

It has an option to wire EGT and BOOST sensor. It can log these settings too, but I withdrew these options as I have the boost controller to monitor the boost. As for the EGT, I will save the money better.
But I don't know will I need the boost logged to make mapping?

fuel pump, it is just replace procedure.
But, I haven't purchased the FPR - there are contradictory opinions on this one. As on classic scoobs the OEM FPR may have troubles doing its job. However there are exceptions - as some have just changed the pump and - basta...they never observed any problem.

What if the OEM FRP struggles to regulate pressure? will I simply get the uncontrolled fuel delivery - not linear to the manifold - pressure - boost but QUADRATIC?
as latter means I won't have a chance to control the AFRs properly as I will have inconsistent/erratic fuel delivery to the combustion chamber - therefore have trouble mapping it properly?

Apexi
I am aware that the apexi base map is pretty aggressive for ignition. And bad fuel will surely make it dett. Therefore I will have to be extra careful to switch the knock monitoring on PFC - so that I can see CEL light comming as soon as OEM knock link detects it...then see it on commander.

So lets say, I arrange the ignition map so that I am knock free - basically retard until it is without knocks.

Once I get no knocking I start logging the load on the PFC so that when I get enough fuelling in any load zone in any RPM - for this purpose there is handy datalogging with wideband as well as apexis load monitor facility.
This is the fuel map tuning. I know it will take lots of time...But , here , in Almaty, no one has been doing such job...simply no experience...
Even Russians struggle tuning their ecus.

Did I mention that here in kazakhstan I've never seen any rollers either...

The boost.
I suppose this way I've tuned for the 1.5 bar it is knockless and has enough fuel on any load and RPM...

Now if I change the boost (add/decrease) will I have to remap?
Obviously, once I change the boost - I change the air flow therefore all the mapping is inadequate now...right?

please, correct me if I am wrong...

and guys like Andy, John, Simon and other kudos, your input would be very welcome...as NO ONE on the continent - ASIA can help me...I know some bits are peoples own knowhow - intellectual properties - and have worked hard to get that knowledge...and I would understand that you don't want to share that info for nothing....but, please have say sth - your feedback worth a million for me - as I won't have any second chance to rebuild my engine...

Aidar

Last edited by CkoTuHa; 16 March 2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: sorry, my english
Old 16 March 2007, 05:41 PM
CkoTuHa
Scooby Regular

Default ?

anyone?
Old 17 March 2007, 02:28 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

way too mcuh to reply to this time of night..

but firstly be careful as 1.23bar is the max off the map sensor reading on the standard map sensor on the pfc.. therefore it might actually be boosting higher than that.

You ideally need a wideband to set up the fuelling..

You don't want to allow it to know too many times!

Simon
Old 17 March 2007, 03:11 AM
CkoTuHa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
way too mcuh to reply to this time of night..

but firstly be careful as 1.23bar is the max off the map sensor reading on the standard map sensor on the pfc.. therefore it might actually be boosting higher than that.

You ideally need a wideband to set up the fuelling..

You don't want to allow it to know too many times!

Simon
but Simon, I've got myself Blitz i-color boost controller ?
If I am not mistaken - this way I have overcome the boost cut at .9 bar on OEM 7k ECU....

But I then suffered the Fuelcut, If I am correct at 1.23-1.25 bar on the same ECU....

to overcome this situation - I bought many items, if you read the first post - there is a list I made. It must be very early morning or very late evening for you to read these bbs

Anyways - welcome tomorrow!