Notices

Help please fuel pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2007, 07:28 PM
orgazmick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please fuel pump questions

hiya all, yesterday my 97 uk turbo was running rough .so i had a look on here and come 2 the conclusion that it's the idle air solenoid as its fault code is 24, so ive cleaned the solenoid with carb cleaner put it all back 2gether and it was running fine. so i cleaned up the tools, washed my hands, moved the car back to close garage door, turn it off, lock front door and then try 2 start it, it started but came 2 a halt ie conked out, tried 2 restart it but it just kept
turning over. just b4 i stopped i heard a strange noise from the fuel pump. which I have never heard before. So, today, I got my multimeter out and tested the suppply to the fuel pump, as well as taking the fuel inlet pipe off the fuel filter which should have been under pressure.

Also connected the connectors under the dash i.e the black and green ones, and the fuel relay was ticking and sending current to the fuel pump.

I think the fuel pump has gone, could someone please advise before i get a new one as wife is miffed.
Old 11 March 2007, 08:23 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Was there a supply at the fuel pump?You dont say? If there was and the pumps not running then the pump is knackered. If there is NO supply then check the connectors under the rear seat as they have a habbit of burning out.
Old 11 March 2007, 08:44 PM
orgazmick
Scooby Regular

Sorry, i thought I mentioned everything, the fuel pump connector pulsed when the green connector under the dash was connected and gave constant voltage when the ignition was on (around about 10v)
Old 11 March 2007, 11:34 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

Did you check the voltage using both the live and earth connector on the plug? or did you use a common earth and then check the live connector?

Its quite easy to whip the fuel pump out, you can then power it up direct from a battery if you want to narrow things down (use a low 3 or 5 watt inline fuse to protect it).

Dont forget to also check to see if your immobiliser is at fault.
Old 12 March 2007, 07:53 PM
orgazmick
Scooby Regular

Hi i used a common earth ,IE bodywork to check the live so praps the earth connection in the connector is at fault . but when i connected up the black/green under the dash the pump was getting current .so does that eliminate the alarm ?and it had a live when cranked over so i might be the earth in the connector .sorry i checked the earth to chassis with multi meter and had the right resistance 5 ohms i think . wife hates me and the car at the moment so Ive gotta be shur i get the right bit IE :fuel pump
Old 12 March 2007, 08:06 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

It might be it has a contant live and the earth is switched so definatly worth checking the earth at the pump,Or earthing it out to see if it runs