Notices

WHATS THE BEST TYPE OF UPGRADE ECU ????????????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2007, 08:44 PM
thebailey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHATS THE BEST TYPE OF UPGRADE ECU ????????????????????????????

I was just woundering if any one could give me some advise on my ecu on my 1995 sti type ra when the time come what would be best to remap my orginal ecu or and new stand alone type eg ( APEXI POWER FC ) or not to bother would be greatful to now what everyone is using and some sort of price many thanks gav
Old 10 March 2007, 09:00 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

I hope its the APEXi as i have one to fit to mine but people will probably say that it's the EcuTek.....i'll wait with anticipation.
Old 10 March 2007, 09:07 PM
tfl55
Scooby Regular

Default ecu

I have STI v2 Type RA and fitted Apexi ECU and AVCR. If you don't buy a ACVR you will have to buy a apexi boost contol kit to get the best out of your car. The are over boost controllers you can buy.
Old 10 March 2007, 11:11 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

ECUTEK is only available for cars that have ECUs with flash memory, ie MY99 and on, so no need to worry about that option as it's not applicable. There are however some other options that should net some good gains.... in order of cost...

a) Plug'n'Pray ScoobyECU - cheap to buy off eBay, has a generic map that's a little more aggressive than standard. Might work, might not....

b) Custom ScoobyECU - more expensive but the map is adjusted so that it suits the car and gets the best out of any mods that are present.

c) Custom ScoobyECU plus MAP sensor - a little dearer again but allows you to run more than the 1.1 bar that's the limit of the stock MAP sensor. Won't necessarily find any more power but should see a healthy gain in torque and driveability

d) APEXi PowerFC - bit of a jump in price but it's a complete replacement not just a "chip". Has far fewer inherent limitations than the stock ECU, so will cope with more mods / power.

e) APEXi PowerFC plus MBC - a stock PowerFC can only control boost up to about 1 bar, but it will happily control the engine at greater boost if something other than the PowerFC controls the boost. Cheapest option is a manual boost controller but beware of overspooling the turbo.

f) APEXi PowerFC plus Boost Control Kit - new MAP sensor and boost control solenoid to allow the PowerFC to control boost over 1 bar itself, but because it's a sensor and a solenoid it's dearer than just using the MBC. Still beware of overspooling the turbo if you ask for too much boost

g) APEXI PowerFC plus APEXi AVC-R - delegate the boost control to the AVC-R and let the PowerFC worry about the rest. AVC-R can allow more boost in the mid range but tail off toward the redline so alleviates the danger of overspooling the turbo

At this point it gets much more expensive, there are loads of options that you could consider... MoTeC, Haltech, GEMS, Autronic, Hydra, Pectel, Life Racing, but unless you're doing something pretty serious it's hard to justify the additional cost!

Hope this helps,

Pat.
Old 10 March 2007, 11:15 PM
thebailey
Scooby Regular

THANKS I THINK ILL KEEP SAVIN AND GO FOR THE APEXI ONE