Notices

POWER STEERING PUMP LOCKING UP!!help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2007, 07:57 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POWER STEERING PUMP LOCKING UP!!help!!!

Havnt got a clue whats going on but ive replaced my power steering pump twice in 4 months with good low mileage second hand units, started my car up this morning and found the steering very difficult to move, its like juddering very badly as i turn the steering and u can see the pump pulley seizing/ locking up causing the belt to slip, there are no fluid leaks and the fluid is on the max mark, has my pump gone yet again or could it be the rack??BTW when idling thers no noise from the pump,and once your driving its 100%, its only when ur parking the car or moving the steering whilst stationary....
Old 09 March 2007, 09:29 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K18LLR
Havnt got a clue whats going on but ive replaced my power steering pump twice in 4 months with good low mileage second hand units, started my car up this morning and found the steering very difficult to move, its like juddering very badly as i turn the steering and u can see the pump pulley seizing/ locking up causing the belt to slip, there are no fluid leaks and the fluid is on the max mark, has my pump gone yet again or could it be the rack??BTW when idling thers no noise from the pump,and once your driving its 100%, its only when ur parking the car or moving the steering whilst stationary....
Jack both of your front wheels up & rotate the steering (engine not running) it should be free & easy, No tight spots, If it is tight, remove the track rod ends & try again, That will tell you if it is the rack, Then rotate the Hub assembly whilst the track rods are disconnected, This will help eliminate the Suspension Top mounts Etc, Obviously if the rack is tight by itself you don't need to test the others other than for peace of min. something could be over loading the Pump .. Or by sheer unluck you could have another fubared pump, But it seems strange. .
Best of luck

Dean
Old 09 March 2007, 09:38 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

I'd check what DeanF said but as you have had 2 (possibly three now) failures I'd also check that you are not overtightening the belt as this could overload the bearing and cause the pumps to give up sooner that they would normally.
Old 09 March 2007, 10:48 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

ok thanks will give it a go tomorrow!
Old 11 April 2008, 08:56 PM
version2sti
Scooby Regular

Hi,
Could you tell me what the problem was? I have developed the same problems you discribed, It all happened this morning! stopped at a roundabout and steering went heavy, but fine if you give it a rev when stationary or when the vehicle is at speed! I have an 85.000 miles MY95 STI, belt tention is fine and no leaks from steering pipes and no noises from pump, hope you can point me in the right direction?
Thanks Graeme
Old 12 April 2008, 06:49 AM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

have the same problem before. check you steering cross joint that causes my steering to lock