Notices

02 WRX - whining noise from engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2007, 06:16 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 WRX - whining noise from engine?

Hey guys,

Just picked up my bugeye today, which I'm absolutely thrilled with. Obviously I'm attuning my ears to hear even the slightest noise from the engine, and I've noticed a slight whine come from the engine at very low speeds (or stationary when revving)... Just wondering if this is how all scoobies sound really? It doesn't make any noise once it's on the move, just when i'm manouvering at low speed.

Cheers!
Old 08 March 2007, 06:51 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like its your power steering pump-on my scoob its pretty much silent,but its not unusual to hear a small whine whilst turning the wheel whilst stationary/low speeds.
Old 08 March 2007, 06:55 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by easyrider
Sounds like its your power steering pump-on my scoob its pretty much silent,but its not unusual to hear a small whine whilst turning the wheel whilst stationary/low speeds.
Yea, that's what I'm thinking now.. It does seem to be more apparent whilst turning. That's alright then, I'm guessing it's not a major thing to get sorted? Or is it even worth getting sorted? I can live with the noise, it's nothing much..

Cheers for the reply.
Old 08 March 2007, 07:10 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Check the fluid level, if it's ok and it's so faint that you have to listen for it then I'd say leave it. Get someone else to rev it gently whilst you listen under the bonnet (don't wear a tie !! lol) and make sure it's not comming from a belt/pully
Old 01 May 2007, 09:24 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Mine does the same - there is a whine that rises if you blip the throttle. Its not there when driving just hwne going slow and idling. I just got the car not long ago and have not investigated it myself but would be interested in the feedback of this thread to see if its normal.