Notices

Brakes to support 330bhp - 380bhp ???

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2007, 12:00 AM
sharpydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes to support 330bhp - 380bhp ???

MY00 UK will be around 330bhp within the next few months, as the engine is been rebuilt im having forged pistons, steel forged rods and STi cams so its all ready for future mods. Basically im looking to upgrade the brakes to support 330bhp but if there isnt a great deal difference in cost id like them to be suitable for future use at 380bhp. I dont really want to be spending more than £300 on brakes yet as my budget is running out fast. what do guys suggest?
Old 07 March 2007, 07:17 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Ahh, another, "i will spend hundreds/thousands on my engine, but am too tight to sort the brakes out properly" person. LOL. I love it.
Never mind stopping eh?
Anyways, enough sarcasm, there a lot of folk on here running stock calipers but with better disks and pads. That is the only 'cheap' option that will give you better braking imho. Just changing the pads aint worth enough to warrant it. Better designed disks and some decent road pads.
Or buy my 03 WRX front calipers off me, they have been boxed and off the car for a couple of years, lol.
Old 07 March 2007, 07:41 AM
sharpydoo
Scooby Regular

Actually i HAVE TO spend thousands as the bottom end died. And unfortunatly i dont earn enough money to just buy whatever upgrades i want. My budget has been spent on the engine simply because i will save so much in the long run due to no extra labour costs to upgrade engine parts while its been rebuilt. I have no idea on what my brake options are which is why im posting on here asking, how much do you think id need to spend to get them sorted properly?
Old 07 March 2007, 10:43 AM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sharpydoo
Actually i HAVE TO spend thousands as the bottom end died. And unfortunatly i dont earn enough money to just buy whatever upgrades i want. My budget has been spent on the engine simply because i will save so much in the long run due to no extra labour costs to upgrade engine parts while its been rebuilt. I have no idea on what my brake options are which is why im posting on here asking, how much do you think id need to spend to get them sorted properly?

if you can get hold of some second hand ones on ebay that might be an option, a friend of mine got some Godspeed disks and Calipers for £300 of the Bay !
Old 07 March 2007, 11:06 AM
timchump
Scooby Regular

i think braided brake lines would be a good cheap mod to start with
Old 07 March 2007, 11:16 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The amout of HP is only relevant to how you intend to drive the car!. It does not make it any heavier, so are you intending to drive faster and brake later??

If you have not uprated the suspension, the chances are that you wont get to use it all anyways, apart from the 'odd occassion', in which case your only enemy will be unexpected brake fade.

Change your lines as mentioned above, get the fluid changed and put in some decent pads.

Your car already has 4 pots, but they will now be worn and not working to full effeciency. Getting them refurbed (buy the kit and do it yourself*) will bring them back up to peak efficiency.

* Don't just pay Subaru for a refurb kit. These callipers were originally developed by Nissan for the 300ZX, so they 'may' be cheaper. Shop around and also try the states and Japan.
Old 07 March 2007, 11:24 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

I have a 97 car with 2 pots and smaller discs than you. My car is currently 300bhp and on the road I had a propblem with Greenstuff pads - I now know a waste of money.

However I have not had a problem with Ferodo DS2500 pads on the road (although I'm far from nice and twisty roads unfortunately), also look into Pagid Black and Mintex do a good road pad as well.

I think you have 4 pot callipers and bigger discs, so you will find a big improvement with grooved / drilled (your choice) discs and good pads over standard anyway. I think to make them better than this you are talking serious money.

Goodrich or Black Diamond do braided brake hoses on eBay - you really should do this.

I am simply looking to upgrade to your spec callipers with discs and pads as mentioned for very occasional track use as I have had fade on track.
Old 07 March 2007, 11:41 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A refurb kit from Subaru isn't a lot, about £20 IIRC. plus a few extra quid for new guide pins. It's the pistons that are pricey, but if they need replacing then do it.

I seem to recall that Godspeed can do a very reasonable refurb on your calippers if you don't fancy the work yourself, under £200. Doesn't sound cheap, but if you end up replacing 4 of the 8 pistons, change all the seals and pins etc. rub down all the rust and crud that's all over them, repaint them properly...it's a lot of time and hassle and you're not going to save a lot of money by doing it yourself. Definitely get Goodridge hoses if you don't have them already though