Notices

water explosion!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2007, 08:22 PM
esxboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water explosion!!!

i just started to hear a deep whining noise when it put my footdown since yesterday,today i popped the bonnet an there seems to be a rusty water mark all up the front of the engine an over batttery area and underside of the bonnet,all looks like it originated in that general area just behind passenger head light.i took the cap off the header tank an managed to put 2-3 litres of water in ,gradually after a little run the whing noise has stopped.nothing seems to be leaking after a long run and idle ..i am really confused where this explosion of water come from?what is the bottle on far side on engine bar which clip on cap say`s (coolant)!i filled it up with water as it was empty 2 litres! was this a good idea
Old 25 February 2007, 08:33 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by esxboy
i just started to hear a deep whining noise when it put my footdown since yesterday,today i popped the bonnet an there seems to be a rusty water mark all up the front of the engine an over batttery area and underside of the bonnet,all looks like it originated in that general area just behind passenger head light.i took the cap off the header tank an managed to put 2-3 litres of water in ,gradually after a little run the whing noise has stopped.nothing seems to be leaking after a long run and idle ..i am really confused where this explosion of water come from?what is the bottle on far side on engine bar which clip on cap say`s (coolant)!i filled it up with water as it was empty 2 litres! was this a good idea
It's your reserve mate...if water is popping out then the engine was either overfilled or overheating due to head gasket/fans/waterpump??????????????
Old 25 February 2007, 09:17 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

Default ..

could have been a airlock too, my expansion leaked for ages then stopped by itself, its been 6 months now and its been 100%, try replacing the coolant and bleeding all the air out...
Old 26 February 2007, 02:14 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

rusty water = no antifreeze.

Antifreeze is not just to stop the thing from freezing in the winter.
It's also a rust inhibitor and a lubricant.
The whining was probably the waterpump bearing running dry.

Andy
Old 27 February 2007, 12:43 AM
esxboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
rusty water = no antifreeze.

Antifreeze is not just to stop the thing from freezing in the winter.
It's also a rust inhibitor and a lubricant.
The whining was probably the waterpump bearing running dry.

Andy
seems fine at mo,winin has stopped since i filled it back up with water if only just for a few secs when first starting cold it does which is making me think i might of done it damage .going for a head gasket test an a flush. i think my rad might b weaping slightly to
Old 27 February 2007, 01:21 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

hold fire on the antifreeze solution then cos if it's leaking you'll have to drain it all out again.

Andy
Old 27 February 2007, 07:29 PM
esxboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
hold fire on the antifreeze solution then cos if it's leaking you'll have to drain it all out again.

Andy
head gasket is fine, rad is fine, i think its just the water pump winin as u said for a couple mins when engine is cold but still seems fine.fans are kicking in no probs.gonna plumb a hose pipe in at weekend an and leave it to flush clear ,run it about for a few miles then check an poss reflush till water runs clear,give it a week then repeat procedure if neded then add some antifreeze.it still a mystary why the water run so dry in first place as it was checked a couple weeks before an was ok! strange ..cheers for your help guys