Notices

Oil Pressure gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2007, 12:49 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure gauge problem

I have fitted an electric oil pressure gauge which worked okay, but now as soon as I turn on the ignition it goes straight up to the max reading and stays there.

I have taken it out, started again and it still does it. It did work for a while, I guess it must be an electrical problem but does anyone know where?

Damo
Old 16 February 2007, 12:51 PM
willgill
Scooby Regular

sounds like its shorting somewhere, I did this with my defi's if you short the wire it just completes the circuit and obviously registers max on the dial - check the cable for bare wires or touching metal.
Old 16 February 2007, 02:23 PM
scoobyman95
BANNED

bad ground
Old 16 February 2007, 02:28 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be to do with earthing. I've just fitted my group buy stepper gauges, and the oil pressure is giving me hassle. The oil pressure switch is refitted on the end of an adapter but because it's not grounded properly, it won't actually function at all. So I'm gonna need to ground it now some other way. Whether this is what is making my pressure gauge flash red and white, I don't know! It seems to be reading pressure fine though. 90psi at cold idle.
Old 16 February 2007, 02:31 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Must be to do with earthing. I've just fitted my group buy stepper gauges, and the oil pressure is giving me hassle. The oil pressure switch is refitted on the end of an adapter but because it's not grounded properly, it won't actually function at all. So I'm gonna need to ground it now some other way. Whether this is what is making my pressure gauge flash red and white, I don't know! It seems to be reading pressure fine though. 90psi at cold idle.

Got the same issue with my stepper motor ones, gauge is stuck at 150psi. Earthing the sender made no difference.
Old 16 February 2007, 05:05 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

As already stated above. Check your earths, all of em. Gauge & sender unit etc. Make sure you have earth the correct part of the sender unit, i.e the body. Use where the adapter fits for the earth.
Old 16 February 2007, 06:18 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's fixed now. I ran a grounding wire from my pressure sender adapter which got my warning light working again. Realised that my pressure gauge warning was a low one rather than a high and reset it. No problems now. Reversed wires can cause problems with stuck needles.