Notices

vf23/vf28

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2007, 04:16 PM
tsl202
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation vf23/vf28

i own an sti3 and normally it does have a ihi vf23, but when i looked at the small plate on the turbo the numbers where allmost skimmed, so i can read VF2...3/8 don't know wich to be sure, but there are other numbers, i think they're the serial number, can i find wich vf is it with the serial number? if yes where can i check it?
thanks
Old 13 February 2007, 07:39 PM
tsl202
Scooby Regular

any idea???
Old 13 February 2007, 08:08 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STi 3 should be VF23, Sti 4 is VF24 and STi 5/P1 VF28
Old 13 February 2007, 08:46 PM
Lee-B STi Type UK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The standard turbo on the sti3 should indeed be a IHI VF23.

It was also used on the 22b if I remember correctly.

There are three lines of information, the top one is model/spec (where the VF23 is etched) and it is very feint, under that is the units serial number and lastly on the third line is part number.

as in

Hope this helps

Lee
Old 13 February 2007, 10:49 PM
tsl202
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee-B STi Type UK
The standard turbo on the sti3 should indeed be a IHI VF23.

It was also used on the 22b if I remember correctly.

There are three lines of information, the top one is model/spec (where the VF23 is etched) and it is very feint, under that is the units serial number and lastly on the third line is part number.

as in

Hope this helps

Lee
Hi Lee, thanks for the pic and the infos! i also deed as you, i mean i've sold my old (bugeyed) wrx modded to buy this much more funny sti3 v-limited!!!
Old 13 February 2007, 10:50 PM
tsl202
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T
STi 3 should be VF23, Sti 4 is VF24 and STi 5/P1 VF28
thanks, but one more question, in case of being a vf28 (perhaps a swap from previous owner?) is it a better turbo? what power and torque are the limits? max pressure (in bar if possible)?
thanks
Old 13 February 2007, 10:55 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

IHI Turbos

VF22

This turbo has the highest output potential of all of the IHI VF series turbos and is the best choice for those who are looking for loads of top end power. The top end power however, does not come without a cost. The VF22 spools significantly slower than the rest of the IHI models due to the larger P20 exhaust housing and is much less suited for daily driving than some of the other models. Although the largest VF series turbo, the VF22 is not quite optimal for stroked engines or those who wish to run more than 20PSI of boost.

VF23

This turbo is considered a great all-around turbo. Like the VF22 it utilizes the largest P20 exhaust housing. This housing is mated with a smaller compressor housing of the of the VF24. This turbo is considered optimal in applications with range from mild to slightly wild. It does not have the same top end power of the VF22, but spools up significantly quicker.

VF24

This turbo shares its compressor housing with the VF23 however, this housing is mated with a smaller (P18) exhaust side. The smaller characteristics of this turbo allow it to provide ample bottom end power and quick spool. This turbo is very popular for Imprezas with automatic transmissions and Group N rally cars.

VF28

This turbo came standard on the STi Version 5. In terms of overall size, it is smaller than the VF22, VF30 and VF34, and about same size as the VF23.
Old 13 February 2007, 10:57 PM
tsl202
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1 FEK
IHI Turbos

VF22

This turbo has the highest output potential of all of the IHI VF series turbos and is the best choice for those who are looking for loads of top end power. The top end power however, does not come without a cost. The VF22 spools significantly slower than the rest of the IHI models due to the larger P20 exhaust housing and is much less suited for daily driving than some of the other models. Although the largest VF series turbo, the VF22 is not quite optimal for stroked engines or those who wish to run more than 20PSI of boost.

VF23

This turbo is considered a great all-around turbo. Like the VF22 it utilizes the largest P20 exhaust housing. This housing is mated with a smaller compressor housing of the of the VF24. This turbo is considered optimal in applications with range from mild to slightly wild. It does not have the same top end power of the VF22, but spools up significantly quicker.

VF24

This turbo shares its compressor housing with the VF23 however, this housing is mated with a smaller (P18) exhaust side. The smaller characteristics of this turbo allow it to provide ample bottom end power and quick spool. This turbo is very popular for Imprezas with automatic transmissions and Group N rally cars.

VF28

This turbo came standard on the STi Version 5. In terms of overall size, it is smaller than the VF22, VF30 and VF34, and about same size as the VF23.
thanks but i've allready the complete page but it doesn't tell the max power and torque, and max boost pressure.
Old 13 February 2007, 11:24 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

So it looks like the vf23 is the one to go for...?