Notices

Whats this water spray thing on my Scooby then????

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2007, 09:48 AM
J_sca001
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats this water spray thing on my Scooby then????

My new Scooby has the water spray thing.

I know it cools things down, but how and what.

Also i will be putting a HKS FMIC on it and a K&N 57i induction kit. Will the FMIC affect the water spray and with the FMIC, induction kit and a performance exhaust do you think this will mean i need a re-map as apposed to leaving standard one on???
Old 09 February 2007, 09:59 AM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

It sprays a mist of water over the intercooler, thus pulling heat away from the core more efficiently. It's only really any use in heat-soak situations such as slow moving traffic or waiting in line for a drag run etc.

If you fit a front mount, you won't be able to use it anymore without some modifications to mount the existing system to the front of the car, however due to the increase in efficency with the front mount, you won't need it anyway.

You will need to re-map the car, as fuelling etc will be upset by the mods you're fitting.
Old 09 February 2007, 10:39 AM
J_sca001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by briforbes
It sprays a mist of water over the intercooler, thus pulling heat away from the core more efficiently. It's only really any use in heat-soak situations such as slow moving traffic or waiting in line for a drag run etc.

If you fit a front mount, you won't be able to use it anymore without some modifications to mount the existing system to the front of the car, however due to the increase in efficency with the front mount, you won't need it anyway.

You will need to re-map the car, as fuelling etc will be upset by the mods you're fitting.
Cheers Bri! Any more opinions, feel free i'm a newbe!
Old 09 February 2007, 10:47 AM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

i recently removed the induction kit from my blobeye as it made the engine run crap
judging by previous posts on here it is because induction kits take in hot air from the engine bay
general opinions are that a k&n panel filter is better than induction kit
mine runs much better with one fitted
something to think about before spending money on the induction kit
Old 09 February 2007, 11:28 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

FMIC probably won't give you much over the STi TMIC without quite extensive further mods, and may even cause you additional turbo lag. Personally I wouldn't bother with an induction kit either. A replacement panel filter such as K&N or Green will give you good results.

I'd recommend the following for good performance increase over standard

Prodrive Sports Cat downpipe, or other sports cat - to keep your emissions legal (I should imagine the police would frown on a full decat).

Remove all other cats - Emmisions should be fine with just sports cat

Straight through exhaust with a decent back box

Uprated Panel filted (K&N or Green)

Ecutek Remap

This will see a healthy increase in BHP, Torque and more importantly the general driveability of the car. Add a whiteline rear ARB and solid droplinks to reduce understeer and make it easier to throw into corners. Also don't bother with a VTA dumpvalve unless you have it fitted at the time of mapping.
Old 09 February 2007, 11:55 AM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyroper
i recently removed the induction kit from my blobeye as it made the engine run crap
judging by previous posts on here it is because induction kits take in hot air from the engine bay
general opinions are that a k&n panel filter is better than induction kit
mine runs much better with one fitted
something to think about before spending money on the induction kit
induction kits need to be shielded from the hot air in the engine bay. They can be quite effective if this is done properly, but will have a negative effect if left to pull in hot air from the engine.

As he's stated he wants to fit a front mount, therefore he must use an induction kit as the standard airbox cannot be retained due to the routing of the intercooler pipework.
Old 09 February 2007, 12:05 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Basically only fit an induction kit if it's a cold air intake located in the inner wing. You should have no problem of heat soak and actually better air intake giving you a better future platform for further mods e.g. the FMIC you mentioned, bigger turbo, etc. Downside is slight increase in noise due to the rush of air but not really an issue in my opnion. I've been pulling c360 bhp with the standard turbo, 1.4 bar max, APS TMIC, APS cold air feed, 3" decat pipe and remap. Drives like a dream
Old 09 February 2007, 12:05 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyspider
FMIC probably won't give you much over the STi TMIC without quite extensive further mods, and may even cause you additional turbo lag. Personally I wouldn't bother with an induction kit either. A replacement panel filter such as K&N or Green will give you good results.

I'd recommend the following for good performance increase over standard

Prodrive Sports Cat downpipe, or other sports cat - to keep your emissions legal (I should imagine the police would frown on a full decat).

Remove all other cats - Emmisions should be fine with just sports cat

Straight through exhaust with a decent back box

Uprated Panel filted (K&N or Green)

Ecutek Remap

This will see a healthy increase in BHP, Torque and more importantly the general driveability of the car. Add a whiteline rear ARB and solid droplinks to reduce understeer and make it easier to throw into corners. Also don't bother with a VTA dumpvalve unless you have it fitted at the time of mapping.

I've no idea what car he has....but if it's a classic then the intercoolers are notoriously crap at high speeds and repeated accelaration runs. Temps rise quite quickly, potentially leading to det. The new-age sti intercoolers are regarded as being quite efficient, however, due to their size.

Any lag issues from the fitting of a front mount can be ironed out when the car is mapped, so shouldn't be a problem.
Old 09 February 2007, 12:18 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

It's bugeye STi (STi 7 if you are that way inclined).

Fair enough about mapping out FMIC lag