Notices

Slow Turning Over

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2007, 03:31 PM
scooby del
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Turning Over

When it is cold my MY05 is very slow to turn over the starter motor and fire up. I took it to the garage and they put a new battery on it but I still have the same problem. The starter is so slow Im sure it will not start. It usually does, though the revs start at 500 and only slowly build up to choke idle. Is this normal, or could it be a dodgy starter motor? The cars only done 7k and is still under warranty, although its a pain to get it to the garage. Any advice appreciated.
Old 06 February 2007, 06:39 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

From my experience it is quite common to have the starter turn over sluggishly compared to most other cars. Some people seem rectify this by fitting a beefier battery (the dealers dont seem to supply them for some reason). Of course it could well be the starter ... so why not get the dealer to fit a new starter while its under warranty, but time it for when you need a service or something else doing.
Old 07 February 2007, 12:12 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if it is the same on a newage but on a classic there is an earth strap that goes onto the starter motor. Check it has a good clean earth as if it doesn't it will crank slowly.
Old 07 February 2007, 09:50 AM
scooby del
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys. I think Ill try to wangle a new starter motor at the next service.
Old 07 February 2007, 11:03 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If the car is used for short jounreys (less than 30mins driving) or used infrequently (i.e weekend car ) the battery will be discharged, this becomes apparrant on a start up first thing on a cold morning even with a new battery.

A quick test if you have a voltmeter: Battery volatge with no load (everything off, doors closed) should be at least 13.5volts with a new battery - anything lower than 13volts and its discharged. Also switch on the headlamps (engine off), see what voltage drop you get on the battery, it should not drop lower than 12volts, if it does, the battery is again discharged or faulty.

Finally start the engine and note the voltage at idle; should be above 14volts and below 16volts and stay roughly within these parametres at any revs, turn on headlamps, the voltage should still stay with those parameters.
Old 07 February 2007, 12:42 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

OE batteries are hopeless. If garage replaced like for like then its no surprise you still have a problem. Treat yourself to a Halfords Calcium HCB005 and you'll be amazed how much faster it'll turn over.