Notices

Upgrading/Hybriding your turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2007, 06:03 PM
Plums!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrading/Hybriding your turbo?

Can someone explain to me exactlty what is involved in making a standard turbo a Hybrid?
And is it something that we can do ourselves?

Just wondering?

Cheers,

Plums.....
Old 15 January 2007, 06:11 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Using a different compressor /exhaust housing or changing the compressor.
/exhaust turbine for another make.
Old 15 January 2007, 06:14 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Hybridising a turbo can involve many things. Different compressor and exhaust housings, different compressor and turbine designs etc.

Creating a hybrid turbo is all about trying improve upon the characteristics of your standard turbo but at the same time not increasing the lag.

I wouldn't say it's something you can do yourself, unless your very adapt at these kind of things and have the relevant and necessary parts and equipment. Best to leave it to the professionals.
Old 15 January 2007, 07:12 PM
Plums!
Scooby Regular

O.K cheers guys, sounds interesting..... any idea where you can pick up different housings and turbines?

Can you port the turbo as well or is this a no no?

Cheers,

Plums....
Old 16 January 2007, 11:04 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

I've done this on a TD04 - currently have 300bhp at 6000rpm and 290ftlb and torque comes in strongly from 2500-2800 rpm

I need another remap to suit my final spec and I expect to see 320bhp 300+? ftlb with strong torque from 2500. I have a TD04, with new internals. Saab and Volvo boys do this too.

Check out Melett dot com - engineering supplier in West Yorkshire. With other google investigation you'll see a lot of flow maps and read a load of info that is of very little help as it's for another application

Note, when I started this I used a machine guy who didn't know what to do and I ended up changing the turbo 5 times before doing more of it myself and getting it right - I now know more about turbos and the TD04 in particular than I ever thought I ought to.

Supporting mods on a 97 Classic :
High flow fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator increased pressure to 3.5bar
Flowed OEM headers & Up pipe
Miltek sports cat down pipe (wide throat)
Miltek 2.5" cat back system
Apexi ECU
3 port boost solenoid

I don't know what car you have but a standard TD04 can give 265-270bhp with supporting mods. After all the hastle I've had, is 300bhp enough extra ? Or even 320bhp when I get the final remap - I'm not sure to be honest

To rebuild a turbo, you need a kit you can get off eBay, but you also need some massive circlip pliers that you'll probably never use again. You'll need a micrometer and a machine shop that can surface grind the turbo shaft, you then need to get the turbo dynamically balenced by another company probably.

I suppose I get a masochistic kick out of it somewhere down the line. But now I think I'll have to have Subarus for ages to make this knowledge worthwhile

Above is a summary If this scares you and you have a few £s Phone Andy Forrest - he makes hybrids and will sell you one to suit your requirement. I thought I might save money doing it on my own but I'm not sure I did, due to the 1st guy I used who was a dunce. It took me 6months - would have taken 2-3 weeks if I'd bought one !!

Sorry, but I don't think I should give out final spec's of hybrid turbos that are worthwhile, after all it's some peoples livelyhoods, they are the experts and get paid for that and they have done much more work than I have to get there, if I earn't more I'd simply have bought one

If you really want to do it, it's possible, get on google and good luck

One final caution - depending on your driving style and final power you may find your gearbox dies pretty soon. 320bhp I understand is getting close to the limit of normal boxes.

AndyF - I work in Watford - it's horrible have you got a job going please
Old 16 January 2007, 06:26 PM
Plums!
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nice one Clint!

Just what I was looking for good solid info! To be honest I just love to tinker and try and perfect things, plus love to pull things apart!

I have some machinists who work for me and to be honest I know my way around a lathe, milling machine etc

Was thinking of picking up a good used one off t'ebay and stripping it?

Cheers

Plums.
Old 18 January 2007, 11:26 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Plums
You have PM about more turbo stuff