Notices

STI Version 5 Engine Seized , Replacement cheapest options?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2007, 11:51 AM
Monkian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Version 5 Engine Seized , Replacement cheapest options?

Hi I've been a forum lurker for a while now.

I have a Version 5 STI Import 280ps that has a seized/locked engine. The car was running fine.. but developed a slight knocking noise while driving so I pulled over, inspected it and could hear it knocking on tickover ... switched it off and tried to restart and discovered it wouldnt start up. Unfortunately its come to light that the engine has siezed

I havnt removed the engine yet to inspect the the damage .. So cannot diagnose the cause yet but I antisipate I might have to rebuild / replace the bottom end.

I want to get the car back on the road in a cost effective mannor ready for the summer..

Luckily I have the facilities to repair/replace the engine myself so I only need to buy the parts. So undertaking the work is no problem.

Right these are the options I'm concidering

• Replacing complete Engine
  • Replacing bottom end
  • Repairing current bottom end ( If salvageable )
  • Replacing Bottom end with 2.5 engine

Obviously I'd like to go with the cheapest option available

Question Time!

Option 1.

]Will any STi bottom end from any version fit onto my version 5 cylinder heads?

If so would it be a straight swap or have any detrimental effect?

If my engine is rebuildable do you know where I can get the parts cheaply to bring it back to life.. assuming I need a new crank, shells , oil pump etc even if its accross the water.. (I know subaru main dealers are pricey) Someone must sell a rebuild kit at least?

What other parts will I need to check to make sure the failure can be prevented in the future.

Option 2. (only if option 1 costs start mounting)

If I were to change over to a 2.5 bottom end again would that be a straight swap with version 5 parts.. alternator , turbo etc?

Sorry for so many questions on my first post feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

P.s if anyone has a good spare sti bottom end I'll be interested in taing it off you hands

Bob
Old 15 January 2007, 12:12 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if its only the bottom end thats gone then your heads will fit on any other sti block, everything will just match up and you will be up and running in no time.

Again with a 2.5 block, your heads will fit on it with no problems, on some versions there is something that needs to be blocked off (cant remember what it is) but I have a feeling that it is v3 and earlier so you should be okay with that. The alternator etc should be a straight direct fit. If you go the 2.5 route then it may be wise to have some head work done to make full use of the extra capacity from the block. Also you may need a reprogrammable ecu to again take advantage of the extra capacity.

For parts the usual suspects of API, Zen and I think Lateral as well
Old 15 January 2007, 12:15 PM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

suggest getting a used import engine will be much faster and easier to get on the road
Old 15 January 2007, 12:15 PM
AFRIKANZ
Scooby Regular

Call API and speak to David.
Old 15 January 2007, 01:22 PM
Monkian
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys , I dont think David will sell the rebuild parts to rebuild seperately.

any more sugestions?
Old 15 January 2007, 01:45 PM
gizgrey
Scooby Regular

mine went pop in my v4 typer got engine complete,inc turbo ecu intercooler,airbox airflow meter.from japperformance parts,1,880 delivered fitted it myself pretty easily with basic mecanical knowledge,back on road in no time atall,i thought that was pretty good and it was a low mileage engine,sold off most of my own usable parts ended up only costing 1000,

if you go down this line i would be intrested in your old turbo!!
Old 15 January 2007, 01:53 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Buy a new P1 (Sti5) bottom end from Subaru - cheaper than a 2.5 and you'll get the same engine back. 2.5 will need remapping or it will self destruct quite quickly on the STi ECU.

Andrew...
Old 15 January 2007, 01:58 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Originally Posted by AndrewC
Buy a new P1 (Sti5) bottom end from Subaru - cheaper than a 2.5 and you'll get the same engine back. 2.5 will need remapping or it will self destruct quite quickly on the STi ECU.

Andrew...
Agree with this but get a later EJ20 from a version 8/9 instead. About £1300 IIRC.
Old 15 January 2007, 01:58 PM
kijjy
Scooby Newbie

Default hi

hiya guys can anyone tell me if they have a second hand engine for a sti v4 1998 import? or how much it would cost to repair as my bottom end has started to knock! Thanks guys
Old 15 January 2007, 03:38 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

If you want a recommended supplier of engine components then speak to Mark at Lateral Performance on 0208 420 5444 - tell him Terry sent you

I have just had my STI 5 RA engine rebuilt and upgraded with parts from Mark and from Alyn at AS Performance also.

Mark supplies to many of the main tuners in the UK.

Depending on the state of your engine, if the block is salvageable and you haven't thrown a rod through it, then you should be ok with as a minimum - new crank (STI 9 crank - it's both cheaper and a better design), new big end bearings (ACL bearings - better than standard) and new rods - new age STI rods are strong and cheaper than uprated H-Section rods.

You may need new pistons depending on whether any were damaged and standard STI pistons are good, but there are better. Then you need to check the cylinder bores for damage which may mean you need a rebore.

But before you remove the engine and strip down, there isn't much more you can do for now.
Old 15 January 2007, 03:41 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Where are you located??????
Old 15 January 2007, 06:31 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkian
Thanks for the replys , I dont think David will sell the rebuild parts to rebuild seperately.

any more sugestions?
Who said that? Stand up that man ? We sell anything you want to buy for a Subaru. Well not the bling stuff, true, but proper stuff sure.

David APi.
Old 15 January 2007, 06:33 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewC

Andrew...
They don't do one any more, components only these days Mega dough.

David APi
Old 15 January 2007, 09:15 PM
Monkian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Who said that? Stand up that man ? We sell anything you want to buy for a Subaru. Well not the bling stuff, true, but proper stuff sure.

David APi.

Ah opps. I only assumed.. could you PM me with some prices of parts... assuming i might need all for a rebuild.... including replacement crank etc?

Thanks