Sti2 not starting...

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2007, 05:26 PM
dodge138
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sti2 not starting...

Hi folks

Tried to start up my MY96 sti2 today and she just turns over and will not start. First time i tried, i heard the fuel pump prime up (although i thought something sounded unusual about it), but the car just turned over and wouldn't fire up. Tried again later and same thing, although now i can't hear the fuel pump prime up. Tried turning it over with foot down for 30 seconds, still nothing...

Anyone any ideas or had a similar problem? The car had been sitting in the drive unused for a few days. I'm thinking maybe my fuel pump is shot, but is there anything else i should check? Maybe crank and cam sensors? Could it be the MAF? Or maybe my immobiliser is playing up?

Any help much appreciated,

cheers,
Dodge
Old 13 January 2007, 06:58 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

You will need to find out what your immobilizer cuts, fuel or ignition etc.

Common faults do tend to be cam or crank but they would tend to show some signs of failure first. Do a fault code check just incase (engine check light) Remove & clean the 2 sensors above, might work or not.

Check if the fuel reaches the fuel filter, squeeze the fuel pipe by the filter whilst someone else turns the ignition on. You should feel it expand.

Check for spark, remove the coil pack from the head & connect a spare spark plug to it. Rest the plug on the block for earth. You should see a spark when cranking the engine (from ign side of things)

If your getting both then it might be that you have flooded the engine with fuel when attempting to start it with your foot on the gas pedal.
So remove all the spark plugs, check the gaps while your at it.
Disconnect the cam & crank plugs & crank the engine (4 or 5 rotation), this should get rid of the fuel. Refit plugs, coil packs etc & restart without touching the gas pedal.

Ticky
Old 13 January 2007, 08:17 PM
dodge138
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers Ticky

will give these thing a try...
Old 14 January 2007, 04:25 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

I had a fuel pump fail on my car last year. It was just about exactly how you described your situation.
I heard the pump prime but it wasn't the usual sound, a bit more grumbly sounding. Then after further attempts I couldn't hear the pump prime.

What I did, was to check that the pump was getting power for the 2 seconds after the ignition key was turned. In my case, the pump was getting the correct power but it wasn't making any noise so it was knackered. I changed it and it was sorted.
Old 14 January 2007, 09:46 PM
dodge138
Scooby Regular

Wink

cheers for the info Normski, looks like i will need a new fuel pump. off work tomorrow, will check everything out...

thanks again,
Dodge
Old 16 January 2007, 12:35 PM
dodge138
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks again folks, fuel pump's shagged for sure, getting power but no life at all, time to get a new one...