Notices

Idling problem please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2007, 01:45 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Idling problem please help!

Ive had a few problems with my idle air control valve on my 1.6 and have since replaced it. It used to rev way too high on idle, and after replacing with another used one it now revs too low, and sometimes stalls. I took my battery off overnight to see if it reset the ecu and the car still idles low, so im looking for any obvious issues then i find this rod type spring sitting on the bottom of the engine, underneath the throttle cable sort of area.

I think maybe it was from the right angled black metal piece you can see centre right, and this is the spring

The one end looks like its snapped but in all honesty i dont recall seeing or hearing anything snap off. Anyone got any ideas which part it maybe, and if this may be having an affect on my idle revs?
Old 12 January 2007, 03:08 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.

That spring is nothing to do with the throttle linkage, It actually fits on the clutch return arm (for tensioning) & is stretched to a bracket on the engine block (what the gearbox bolts to) & should be replaced

Is the idle control valve the same as the turbu units ?? Does it have an electrical conector on top of the unit with two screws ??

If so when the car is running slacken the screws & rotate the unit clockwise (i think) to increase the idle speed Etc. Try either way you will soon find which way it is, You may have to re-adjust when the car is warm/hot., Worth a try.

Dean