Steamy Windows

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2007, 08:00 PM
DaveL001
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steamy Windows

got a prob on wit my P1
got in my car after work this afternoon, and my front screen was misted up.
any ideas wat causes this, mine was the only 1 in the car park like it, the heater control was set to external, ie not re circulating air within the car, as i have heard this can cause similar problems
Old 10 January 2007, 08:31 PM
tony95
Scooby Regular

normally caused by moisture in the car.
check seals round the doors/boot.
Old 10 January 2007, 08:33 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

My bugeye does it too occasionally. can never find any damp patches on carpets, in boot etc. I've treated the screen with RainX Anti-Fog (not the external RainX) and it seems to have sorted it. No idea what's causing it.
Old 10 January 2007, 09:15 PM
DaveL001
Scooby Regular

wat just feel for damp patches around the carpets?
Old 10 January 2007, 10:18 PM
SNAP-ON
Scooby Regular

funny as i had the same problem today with mine , got in it and front window well misted on the inside but every other car was fine ! pain as you have to sit there for 5mins with heater on full bore to clear it unless you wipe it and can put up with the smug marks after ! i have no damp patches or leaking seals ?
Old 10 January 2007, 10:20 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

its more than likely the moisture in the air,cold and damp sort of thing,

Dont worry toooo much summers on it way
Old 10 January 2007, 10:35 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Hello there, without going into the physics of it. Inside you car you have moist (whether it be genreally in the air or somewhere within the car there is a wet/damp patch) and because inside the car is warmer than outside it will create the mist on the windows.

One quick way of sorting it, buy one of those throw away dehumidifies from homebase of some where for £3-4. Stick it in you car and it will pull all the mosit out of the air.

But make sure you have a good look around first, making sure you haven't got a leaky door seal, wiring gromet from the engine to cabin area.

Nothing really to worry about though, and as someone else has said summer is final on it's way, and that will sort it out.
Old 10 January 2007, 11:57 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

As long as your not loosing coolant (via the heater matrix shown by having wet front foot wells) and as long as you dont have a boot full of water due to poor seals around the boot, rear lights and or spoiler mounting holes i would not worry too much as some cars seem to be prone to it when the outside temperature changes.

By the way a tip to clear steamy windows quicker is to use the air conditioning (assuming you have it of course) on a warm setting as air con functions by drawing moisture out of the air.
Old 13 January 2007, 02:28 AM
navydoubs1977
Scooby Regular

on my 3rd subaru had same thing on all of em. if i get in and its been raining or im a bit wet it mists straight up think there all like that??
Old 13 January 2007, 09:41 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

This may sound obvious but make sure that the cooling/heating system isn't on 're-circulate'!
Had this problem in my car, and havn't had it since the air from outside has been allowed to enter the car.
Old 13 January 2007, 12:33 PM
dazington
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem with mine, The spoiler on the boot wasnt sealed proper so everytime it rained i got water in the boot, i fixed the spoiler and cleaned the carpet from the boot but for a couple of weeks i noticed the rear window steaming up quite often i kept cheaking the boot and spoiler for more leeks but couldnt see anything.
What id done was left a high vis jacket in there for emergancys hadnt noticed this had got wet from the leaky boot, as soon as i took it out no more steamy windows. RESULT.
Old 13 January 2007, 12:34 PM
philis
Scooby Regular

My car is terrible for this, even the outside of the car is always soaking wet yet other cars on the drive are dry, no idea why and the back window is always steamed up. I was thinking maybe its down to it being black, also i washed it with fairy liquid which ive noticed always leaves lots of water droplets on the car.