Notices

Burning Hair Smell

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2007, 08:53 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Hair Smell

At high revs - If I give the car some beans, I have started noticing a burning "hair" smell comes into the cabin shortly afterwards - No smell at all under normal driving conditions and the rocker cover gaskets were done 2 months ago, but to be honest it doesn't smell like burning oil, like I say, the nearest thing to it is burning hair.

Any ideas?
Old 09 January 2007, 09:11 AM
sjwdavies
Scooby Regular

I think i've a similar smell. Is yours a classic?

I've always assumed it's either the clutch or the brakes, because as you say, it only happens when i'm hammering it.

My drivers side rocker gasket was also done 5 months ago.
Old 09 January 2007, 09:20 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sjwdavies
I think i've a similar smell. Is yours a classic?

I've always assumed it's either the clutch or the brakes, because as you say, it only happens when i'm hammering it.

My drivers side rocker gasket was also done 5 months ago.
Yup, should have stated that in the original post - MY98 UK Turbo.

Be surprised if its the brakes, I would expect perhaps a smell after hard braking, Its purely under hard acceleration. It could be the clutch I suppose, but I have no associated symptoms, no slipping etc.
Old 09 January 2007, 01:01 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

I think it could be one of two things, either the passenger rocker gasket or the one that was replaced is leaking.

I did mine and sealed it as appropriate, it then leaked again a few weeks after. I've resealed it and there is no visible signs of a leak but it still stinks when i've blasted it, so it could just be old burnt oil residue getting hot....???

try some degreaser maybe when the exhaust is cold...
Old 09 January 2007, 03:56 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Have you thought it may actually be burning hair?

I remember the neighbours cat used to crawl up into the engine compartment of our cars during the cold weather (they used to leave the cat out all night in the cold ) to keep warm!

You haven't cooked a cat have you?

Dave
Old 09 January 2007, 04:02 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

LOL LOL. I never thought it was so common!!!

I had a funny smell inside the car. Turned out that I had cooked a sparrow on the intercooler. Poor little chap, he had only got in to see out a cold night and I fried him.....

Last edited by dan83590; 09 January 2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09 January 2007, 07:12 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Well I popped the lid at lunchtime - Don't seem to be losing any oil, or coolant for that matter - and the smell is quite different to burning oil that I was getting before the rocker covers gaskets were replaced. No sign of any wildlife on the intercooler either
Old 09 January 2007, 11:05 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Hello there, I had the same problem. I sat looking at the engine for ages trying to figure it out.

Finally, right it front of me, there is was, the bonnet sound proofing. Mine was old and tired, and although it wasn't sagging a great deal, a few fibres had started to come lose and hang into the engine bay.

Because of the material it was made from, you would have to get a flame on it to set fire, but it will produce a burning hair like smell when it comes into contact with the hot engine.

To start with I simply removed it, and job done the smell went. But I've now managed to source a new sound proofing mat and I fitted that and still no problems.

If you still have you mat fitted, remove it and give that a go. If the smell goes you thats the problem sorted. If the smell remains, then at least it won't have cost you anything.
Old 09 January 2007, 11:30 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Hello there, I had the same problem. I sat looking at the engine for ages trying to figure it out.

Finally, right it front of me, there is was, the bonnet sound proofing. Mine was old and tired, and although it wasn't sagging a great deal, a few fibres had started to come lose and hang into the engine bay.

Because of the material it was made from, you would have to get a flame on it to set fire, but it will produce a burning hair like smell when it comes into contact with the hot engine.

To start with I simply removed it, and job done the smell went. But I've now managed to source a new sound proofing mat and I fitted that and still no problems.

If you still have you mat fitted, remove it and give that a go. If the smell goes you thats the problem sorted. If the smell remains, then at least it won't have cost you anything.

Ahh - now that sounds like a plan. My lagging is sagging! Will have a look tomorrow and see if I can do some tailoring.

Thanks!
Old 10 January 2007, 08:37 AM
sjwdavies
Scooby Regular

Mine too.

cheers