Notices

speedo converter/delimiter

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2007, 08:35 PM
tsl202
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question speedo converter/delimiter

i'm going to get a speedo converter/delimiter for my sti III 1997 (i suppose it's a mechanical one), but don't know exactly to connect it. peoples says that after the speedo, so have to remove the clocks, and others says under the intercooler on the gearbox cable or something like that.
can any1 explain how or where can i connect it, or a link with step by step fitting.
Old 08 January 2007, 09:22 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

I think you may have to get electronic type for a 97. Double check before you buy matey.

If it is the mech one you need then fitting is straightforward, I fitted mine at the back of the speedo.

Remove the black surround, 4 small screws and disconnect any switches.

You can then get to the speedo etc. This has four (99% sure) more screws that need removing. The speedo should now be free to move.

Pull it out a little way and squeeze your hand in to remove the electrical connectors and the speedo cable. Fit the convertor between the speedo and the cable and refit in reverse.

This bit is the most tricky, the only way I could reach the speedo cable for refitting was by working from underneath the steering column.

Dan....
Old 09 January 2007, 08:57 AM
sjwdavies
Scooby Regular

I've had two classics, both mechanical, and there are indeed two different types of converter.

A) Fitted inline with the speedo cable, 4" from the gearbox.

B) Fitted to the back of the speedo cluster.

As dan83590 said, fitting to the speedo cluster is simple and straight forward. they both are really. However fitting near the gearbox means climbing underneath.

It's a 5 minute job. Climb under, remove a metal clip holding the cable joint together, seperate the cable (it just unplugs), insert the converter, and plug back together and re-insert the metal clip.

Bosh, job done.