Notices

Methanol - The +'s & -'s

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2007, 11:48 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methanol - The +'s & -'s

I'm contemplating using Methanol as an addictive in the fuel. Read most of the posts on here that come up in the search, but i don't feel i have sufficient information to make the leap.

I understand you use about a 10% mix to the fuel, a remap will make most benefit of it and there will be an increase in power. It costs roughly the same as V-Power, so there's no increase in running costs.

What are the other advantages/disadvantages??

Advantages:
More power.

Disadvantage:
More hastle to fill up.
Old 08 January 2007, 01:17 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Better again is to do v max and meth...sweet. I dont have any technical details on this though, results, etc.
Old 25 April 2007, 09:24 PM
DesR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
I'm contemplating using Methanol as an addictive in the fuel. Read most of the posts on here that come up in the search, but i don't feel i have sufficient information to make the leap.

I understand you use about a 10% mix to the fuel, a remap will make most benefit of it and there will be an increase in power. It costs roughly the same as V-Power, so there's no increase in running costs.

What are the other advantages/disadvantages??

Advantages:
More power.

Disadvantage:
More hastle to fill up.
Advantage

- Reduces the possibilty of det (my car is not mapped to take advantage of the methanol).
- Cools things down in the engine
- Will soon be cheaper than petrol

Disadavantage:

- Seems to have eaten some bits off my fuel injectors - easily fixed in my case but could have been quite exciting if the loose bits had managed to make their way into my engine
- My fuel sender unit has been misreading for a while now and I suspect that it is related to my use of methanol (think the methanol has eaten the float).

Cheers
Old 26 April 2007, 11:16 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

There were several factors putting me off, so in the end i just went for NF Race Formula octane booster. Easier to handle and manage. Made +20/20 and car feels more eager.
Old 26 April 2007, 12:08 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DesR
Advantage

- Reduces the possibilty of det (my car is not mapped to take advantage of the methanol).
- Cools things down in the engine
- Will soon be cheaper than petrol

Disadavantage:

- Seems to have eaten some bits off my fuel injectors - easily fixed in my case but could have been quite exciting if the loose bits had managed to make their way into my engine
- My fuel sender unit has been misreading for a while now and I suspect that it is related to my use of methanol (think the methanol has eaten the float).

Cheers
not seen anything like that happen.. you sure the injector problems were really related to the meth?

Not seen a problem using 10%

Simon
Old 26 April 2007, 01:59 PM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

had been using ethanol base fuel and its bad for your fuel pump
Old 26 April 2007, 06:05 PM
DesR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
not seen anything like that happen.. you sure the injector problems were really related to the meth?

Not seen a problem using 10%

Simon
Hi Simon.

Yes, I'm pretty sure about it. Only one injector actually failed but when we took the others out there were signs of decay. All have been modded to overcome the problem and the car is running fine. The float issue is unconfirmed but I had heard (indiirectly) of a few people (running methanol) actually running out of fuel because they didnt realise there was an issue with the sender unit.

Cheers