Notices

Dawes device and oscillating boost

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2007, 10:31 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dawes device and oscillating boost

I have a My1993 WRX, to cut a long story short I've fitted a dawes device and FMIC with an ECU with boost map right up to 1.1bar. Now when I put it in it the dawes was as recieved from the USA, and just so happened to set boost at 0.5bar.

I have since adjusted it a little but have hit a problem, When I floor it the boost goes up to 1.05 bar, then oscilated between 0.95bar and 1.05 bar from about 4k untill 7k. It just seems to swing back and forth. When it was set to 0.5 bar it held it like a rock.

Its not the boost gauge as I've had this gauge in the car for 2 and a half years and its always been accurate. The one thing I have not done which I probably should have is to clamp the 2 hose ends to the dawes device with jubilees, but surely thats not the problem.

For the record the dawes is connected straight end from the output on the pressure side of the turbo and the elbow end goes to the actuator.

The vacuum rubing I used was slightly smaller in inner diameter than the tubing I removed going to the boost solenoid.

Any ideas much appreciated.
Old 05 January 2007, 10:57 PM
SNAP-ON
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you have fitted it properly , but you should use clips or ties on the hoses like i did then you know its not leaking etc . did you blank of the solenoid pipes aswell ? you may have to take the dawes apart and extend the spring a bit and also put a small washer inside allowing you to get more boost above 14psi ! mine is almost wound to the end for me to get 14psi !
Old 05 January 2007, 11:43 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crikey,
Mines still got 2.5 threads left exposed on the screw at this pressure. Had a new thought on it though. I've had the battery out of the car for ages, could be the ECU 'learning' the new settings and adjusting a few things along the way. WIll have to go for a few steady 5th gear boost runs up the birdlip tomorrow.