Notices

please help..

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2007, 05:53 PM
ste300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help..

I have two annoying issues on my 95 wrx, one is that my power steering pump has become very noisy, its got plenty of fluid but sounds like it doesnt, and its whining with the revs. The other issue is there is a tapping noise coming from just below the right hand side of the inlet manifold, its in time with the beat of the exhuast. Its been doing it for a while and the car still drives perfect just a little worrying. Oh and recently my fuel consumption is taking the ****, in the last 4 days ive driven mayb 6 miles, never more than a mile at a time and always starting from cold but its used a quarter of a tank!
Cheers for any help anyone can give
Steve
Old 04 January 2007, 06:04 PM
chppy
Scooby Newbie

power steering could be the bearings on the pump, as to the ticking only thing i can think of is the cam sensor is located at the front right handside could be loose or broken this could lead to bad timing and therefore poor fuel consumption but i'd have thought it would run unevenly, hope this helps.
Old 04 January 2007, 06:12 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chppy
power steering could be the bearings on the pump, as to the ticking only thing i can think of is the cam sensor is located at the front right handside could be loose or broken this could lead to bad timing and therefore poor fuel consumption but i'd have thought it would run unevenly, hope this helps.

Power steering is probably the pump as stated above. The ticking sounds like an air leak and would explain the poor fuel consumption.
Old 04 January 2007, 06:30 PM
chppy
Scooby Newbie

yeh, could be a leaky manifold gasket, i think they are only paper, if it has perished it could only be slight but enough. Would think that you would notice a difference in performance though.