sti high flow downpipe cat?

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2006, 09:55 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default sti high flow downpipe cat?

Does the STI PPP kit come with a high flow sports cat?

If yes, would it fit a WRX (03) and would it be "not a lot worse" than say the TSL sports cat? Is it stainless steel (the downpipe, i mean)?

I'm trying to achieve a free(ish) flowing exhaust for a WRX03 for not insane amounts of money (e.g. the TSL sports cat at 400+vat is just a tad too dear (as is the scoobyworld one at 300)).
Old 20 December 2006, 03:03 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about get a prodrive high flow cat fitted to my 01 WRX. Been told that due to the TD04 mounting the splitter in the neck will have to be modified or removed, apart from that shouldnt be any issues (Dont know of 03 uses TD04). I'm combining that with a magnex slip joint up-pipe (wrapped) and a remap. Centre cat removed too.

Prodrive claim that this downpipe produces results which are comparable with a full decat (assuming you're not after very high power I should imagine).

My question ..

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...e-wrx-sti.html
Old 20 December 2006, 04:22 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyspider
I am about get a prodrive high flow cat fitted to my 01 WRX. Been told that due to the TD04 mounting the splitter in the neck will have to be modified or removed, apart from that shouldnt be any issues (Dont know of 03 uses TD04). I'm combining that with a magnex slip joint up-pipe (wrapped) and a remap. Centre cat removed too.

Prodrive claim that this downpipe produces results which are comparable with a full decat (assuming you're not after very high power I should imagine).

My question ..

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...e-wrx-sti.html
Yes, I believe the 03 uses the TD04, but I'll be going the TD05 route anyway when fitting a new downpipe, so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue (or if it is, I'll get the spacer )

Dare I ask how much you paid for the downpipe (and where did you find it? I've been trying to find some on ebay etc but they're like hens teeth)?
Unfortunately, I guess if the cat is a good free-flowing one, there is no need to change it even if going above PPP, which might explain the lack of used ones knocking about
Old 20 December 2006, 04:59 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

I was really lucky and found it on ebay and picked it up for 107 as it was mis-described and I guess other ppl didnt spot it. There was one for sale in the General For Sale on here a cpl weeks ago - probably whizzed down to page 20 or something by now ! There was also another sports cat for sale IIR as someone was looking for big power and decided to decat fully.

I mail H&S about a spacer, they dont do em. A quick fettling with a grinder will sort the metal splitter in the mouth out tho.

As for the up-pipe, I've gone for a magnex as I'll prpbably keep the TD04 for now and the smaller inner diameter is supposedly better for early spool on the smaller turbo. I've also got a H&S as a spare in case I upgrade to a TD05 in the future. Both slip jointed. Rest of the system is scoobysport.

Last edited by funkyspider; 20 December 2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 20 December 2006, 06:44 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

No need to get a spacer, I'd suggest taking an angle grinder and just making the splitter stick out less far. My exhaust came with a splitter set up for VF series turbos, and explicit instructions to do just that if you had a td04. Never caused me any problems, just 10 minutes effort with the grinder.
Old 20 December 2006, 06:45 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

PS The PPP for the STi does come with a prodrive sports car. I believe the prodrive sports cat will not be noticably worse than most other sports cat downpipes, and will provde virtually no restriction at TD04 type power levels.