Notices

what is the max boost i can put through this and be safe

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2006, 07:32 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the max boost i can put through this and be safe

after someone made a mess of my last impreza for me, im having to start over again. but instead of fitting a FMI i want to fit a this top mount

eBay Motors: Turbo XS POWER TM Intercooler TMIC Subaru WRX Impreza (item 150072813717 end time Dec-26-06 07:35:14 PST)

when i fit this i plan to fit a td05 20G turbo (prob from andyforrest) but does anyone know if i can fit this with a top mounted intercooler and a apexi ecu + injectors.

i want to get the boost over 1.5 bar hopefully to get it over 350bhp, but i am concerned, will the above intercooler be enough
Old 19 December 2006, 07:38 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

HI m8. To be honest, that just looks like a copy rather than a genuine Turbo XS product.
A real one is around £500, so I can't quite see how they are selling one for £90??
Old 19 December 2006, 07:42 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
HI m8. To be honest, that just looks like a copy rather than a genuine Turbo XS product.
A real one is around £500, so I can't quite see how they are selling one for £90??
do u know where i can get a genuine one, as i realy dont want to fit a front mount, as i dont want to cut another car appart lol
Old 19 December 2006, 09:11 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure that any top mount could cope with the airflow from the TD05 20G (with the adiabatic heating of the air as well) !!

The size of the Turbo XS core compared to an APS DR500 FMIC for example looks about half the size. Have you asked Andy Forrest what he would recommend ??

The newage TMIC is pretty efficient but even that would struggle to cope.......didn't Butty fit an enlarged aftermarket TMIC and it didn't seem to do much for his charge temps ?

Shaun
Old 20 December 2006, 11:54 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The consensus on SN seems to be that whilst you can get a very good TMIC on there, they will ultimately lose control over inlet temps if you keep your foot down for long enough, something which FMIC's just don't seem to do. Someone put it very succinctly on a recent thread and explained that (not in these exact words) the right intercooler is the one that doesn't let inlet temps rise regardless of how much you thrash it. That makes perfect sense. For example I run a V4 WRX intercooler and I know that if I cane it, after ten seconds it's had enough and needs a bit of off-throttle to let it cool down. Easily enough intercooling for the road, but nowhere near enough for the track in other words. A bigger top mount is just moving that 'give up' point a bit futher off IMHO.

I did look at a 'Turbo XS' TMIC myself, off of ebay a little while ago, and IIRC it was sold by a firm that used the Turbo XS name here in the UK with a similar logo, but they were definitely NOT the same Turbo XS that you're thinking of.
Old 20 December 2006, 11:56 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

With top mounts the thing to remember is, bigger isnt necessarily better in this case.