Notices

radiator running on empty

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2006, 06:18 AM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator running on empty

hi fellas.. can someone please give me a some advice, suggestion and/or knowledge

my car is a STI V Type-R

i recently had a Koyo radiator fitted and yesterday while i was driving i noticed a big big burning smell... i had to drive for another 10 minutes before i could stop ne where and when i did the water temp hit the top!

i opened the hood and after a couple minutes of looking around i noticed the big hose at the bootom of the radiator connecting the radiator to the engine had popped out!... obviously the guy who fiited the radiator hadnt tightened the hose properly and consequently... damaged my engine in some way as i hsd been driving with no coolant in my radiator.. hence the crazy burning smell!

after the engine had cool down, i reattached the hose and re-filled the radiator with coolant fluid, all seemed fine until my water temp flew to the top again!!!!!!...... arggggh!.... so MAD!.... this time nothing had popped out but one side of my radiator is hot and the other side is cool!... wot the hell!... im guessing my thermostat must been burnt out along with everything else!

can anyone tell me what possible damage would have been done in a condtion like this? and any other things that i shud b aware about?....

sumbody must know something hehe...... thanxs in adavacne fells....
Old 12 December 2006, 08:22 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully if your lucky it is just the stat that has locked shut. Worse case scenario, head gaskets gone, heads warped...........

Remove the stat and test in boiling water, also there is a chance that there is just a massive amount of air in your system, when refilling did you have the heater matrix on hot etc?
Old 12 December 2006, 10:13 AM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way that half the rad is cold and half is hot it sounds like there is air trapped in the system.