Notices

After market rev limiter??

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2006, 11:02 AM
CHRIS WISE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question After market rev limiter??

I have a 1995 WRX STI RA which is low geared, i managed to blow the big end bearings by sitting at 8,000RPM @ about 140 for far to long. The car has been derestricted from jap 110MPH. I am in the process or rebuilding the engine but i really dont want to blow it again by over reving it. Can anyone recomend a good after market rev limiter/shift light system that has a nice soft cut. As i want to set the limit to about 7,300RPM

I hope someone can help as i wasn't 100% suer what i could use due to the coil packs.

Thanks Chris
Old 29 November 2006, 11:18 AM
jonnyh
Scooby Regular

Its more likely to have been det that lunched your engine. Lucky not to have melted a piston as well! As such I don't think limiting the revs will cure your problem.
I'd look at a remap (plenty to chose from, do a search). This with a few other bits would make your engine safer. I'm sure the mapper could also reduce the rev limit if thats what you really want.
Old 29 November 2006, 11:35 AM
CHRIS WISE
Scooby Regular

I have got the engine split open and my mate that works for subaru who's helping me rebuild it said it was a lack of oil which caused the bearings to go. I am putting it back together tomorow night it needed a new crank and con-rods due to the wear. The pistons are in A1 condition. I am using competition bearings but as the car is going to be used for trackdays & sprints i wanted to stop it reving to high as when i get carried away its hard to pay attention to the revs hence why i would like to know if there is a system with a shift light included. The lateral G's i dont need to worry about as i am also fitting a baffed sump. There is no way i can afford to blow it again because its cost me a lot for all the parts even though i am rebuilding it my self.

Hope some one knows of a system that people use on their own scoobys.

Thanks Chris
Old 29 November 2006, 01:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be wanting to replace your oil pump at the same time, go for an STI-9 crank (they are grooved for better oil feed) not a UK one (which aint).

Tony