Notices

help needed - Burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2006, 07:38 PM
scooby walker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed - Burning smell

Hi every time i use my car (MY00) after it has warmed up there is a burning smell and i cant seem to find the cause. I had it in for a service last week which i thought may cure the problem but it seems to be worse. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this ? Also been told may have faulty Lambda sensor could this cause the smell ?

Cheers
Old 13 November 2006, 07:44 PM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

Burning oil smell coming into the cabin?

If thats what it is then its the rocker cover gaskets that need replacing.
Old 13 November 2006, 07:53 PM
scooby walker
Scooby Regular

Yes its coming into the cabin slightly but its also really strong outside the car, also seems worse when reversing onto my drive !
Old 13 November 2006, 07:56 PM
grrrr
Scooby Regular

Yeah mate i agree, i had the same problem and it was the rocker gasket but just on the driver side.
Old 13 November 2006, 09:54 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Agree with above. Lift the bonnet and you might see some smoke rising from around the turbo area.

Pretty cheap to fix although mine went on my classic two or three times (known problem)
Old 13 November 2006, 10:18 PM
ukmrw1
Scooby Newbie

Could also be the crankcase seal? Had it go on my Legacy, and think my MY95 has the same problem. Otherwise it's my rockers as well!
Old 13 November 2006, 11:30 PM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

If it turns out to be the rocker cover gaskets then replace both at the same time. It makes more sense.
Old 14 November 2006, 11:08 AM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Can someone please confirm whether the drivers side rocker cover gasket can be changed without dropping the engine? I've got the same problem and am getting mixed reports from garages/friends.

Thanks guys
Nicky
Old 14 November 2006, 11:15 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

You do not have to take the engine out. 100% ignore anyone who says differently and dont take your car there as they are either idiots, ripping you off - or both!
Old 14 November 2006, 11:22 AM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1mark
You do not have to take the engine out.
agreed. I had mine done a few weeks ago. They are a bitch to get to and your mechanic will probably cut his/her hands to pieces but its not an engine out job.
Old 14 November 2006, 12:22 PM
scooby walker
Scooby Regular

Hi thanks for the help. I had it back to the garage this morning and he does not think its the rocker gaskets he phoned his mate who is a subaru machanic and he thinks it could be the MAF sensor or the Lambda sensor he is going to take to him to get the engine diadnostics checked first and have a proper look at the cause.
Old 14 November 2006, 12:48 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How could the MAF sensor be causing a burning smell? Not quite sure about that.
Old 14 November 2006, 04:35 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby walker
Hi thanks for the help. I had it back to the garage this morning and he does not think its the rocker gaskets he phoned his mate who is a subaru machanic and he thinks it could be the MAF sensor or the Lambda sensor he is going to take to him to get the engine diadnostics checked first and have a proper look at the cause.
That doesn't sound right to me. I found my leak by taking off the splashguard under the engine (2 bolts at front, 2 in the wheel arches, 2 at the back of the guard and 2 plastic clips either side at the back) stick a torch and your head under there and you can clearly see where its seeping from. I would take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion mate, sounds like they're not sure what the problem is and if it is an oil leak it wont show on the ECU diagnostics anyway!! A new maf would be around 200 quid i would think so dont let them put one on for the sake of it...
Old 14 November 2006, 04:38 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScuuBdoo
agreed. I had mine done a few weeks ago. They are a bitch to get to and your mechanic will probably cut his/her hands to pieces but its not an engine out job.
Hehe, thanks. Unfortunately the mechanic will be me... i just wasn't going to attempt it if it was an engine out job. I will order up the gaskets (making sure i get all 10).

Do you know what exactly has to come out of the bay to get the drivers side done? MAF/Airbox, plug leads etc....???

EDIT: it is an MY98 classic if that has any bearing on the layout...

PS sorrry for the slight hijack of the thread lol
Old 14 November 2006, 10:39 PM
scooby walker
Scooby Regular

Hi thanks again for the advice. If the lambda sensor was faulty the car could be running rich could this not cause the burning smell ? Also i checked the cel codes myself and the came up with lambda and MAF sensor faults this is why he was going to put it on subaru's fault diognostics and also reset the ECU and see what faults it shows up.
Old 15 November 2006, 08:42 AM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby walker
Hi thanks again for the advice. If the lambda sensor was faulty the car could be running rich could this not cause the burning smell ? Also i checked the cel codes myself and the came up with lambda and MAF sensor faults this is why he was going to put it on subaru's fault diognostics and also reset the ECU and see what faults it shows up.
Hi, i dont think a faulty lambda would cause the smell ( i could be wrong ). WHen mine was faulty it just ran really rich (yes more so than normal!), i was getting 180 miles to a tank. This is a simple fix and you can get a generic one for 40 odd quid. I still think the burning smell seems like an oil leak, its exactly the same as mine, once it gets warm it smells like burning plastic/oil. If its really hot sometimes you get a little puff of smoke coming from the bonnet vents...
Old 15 November 2006, 09:12 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Hi are you sure you haven't got anything stuck to your zorst i.e plastic bag. It may be a long shot but i would just have a look to rule it out..Regards Lee
Old 22 November 2006, 02:12 PM
armogedden57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nickyrhodes
Hehe, thanks. Unfortunately the mechanic will be me... i just wasn't going to attempt it if it was an engine out job. I will order up the gaskets (making sure i get all 10).

Do you know what exactly has to come out of the bay to get the drivers side done? MAF/Airbox, plug leads etc....???

EDIT: it is an MY98 classic if that has any bearing on the layout...

PS sorrry for the slight hijack of the thread lol
Just done mine a few weeks ago (UK classic 98), air box out, plug leads of and there are a couple more pipes need disconnecting, im not very mechanically minded but myself and my mate did the drivers side in a couple of hours. Just done the passenger side, MASSIVE BALL ACHE! to get the cover off its easier with the battery and washer reservoir off! loads to unplug and get out of the way, and VERY difficult to get the cam cover off because of clearance issues with the side of the engine bay. This is why mine is leaking again! must have moved the gasket when trying to squash it round the cams!
Old 22 November 2006, 02:50 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Great stuff, thanks for the advice.

I've ordered the drivers side for now, will wait till the other starts leaking i think!!

Cheers again

Nicky
Old 22 November 2006, 08:26 PM
fatsweaty
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have any pics of this being done as i think mines gone drivers side as well,well scary seeing smoke coming from under/around engine