Notices

How to get 325bhp from an STI-5?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2006, 01:18 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get 325bhp from an STI-5?

My current thoughts are that I'll be returning to scooby ownership at some point in the first half of 2007. I'd probably look to buy as STI-5 or STI-6 (type-r or RA varient if I could). It's my understand all these cars have the VF28 turbo as standard. Having owned an MY99 with 275bhp before I want my next scooby to be significantly quicker and have therefore set a target of 325bhp +/- 10bhp. If I can get more than that for reasonable money then all the better.

I want to achieve this result without changing or having to remove the turbo. At this point you are probably screaming search, search but depsite searches I just seem to have dug up conflicting information. There are those that claim the VF28 can't get you much above 310bhp and others that claim over 350bhp!! That's a pretty wide range

I'd appreciate a shopping list of mods that I'd need to achieve roughly 325bhp and also some indication of costs.

My current thinking is that I'd need:

* Full decat exhaust
* Uprated TMIC or a FMIC (might make 320bhp on standard TMIC??)
* 3-port solenoid
* Andy F or beg John Banks out of retirement for a remap
* Possibly uprated fuel pump
* Knocklink
* Boost gauge

I'd like the car to be in the 12s down the 1/4er mile but I don't want major lag on gear changes. My modified UK running the TD04 was obviously quick to spin again after gear changes and whilst I accept the VF28 won't be quite the same I don't want monolithic lag down country lanes everytime I change gear.
Old 02 November 2006, 01:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
My current thoughts are that I'll be returning to scooby ownership at some point in the first half of 2007. I'd probably look to buy as STI-5 or STI-6 (type-r or RA varient if I could). It's my understand all these cars have the VF28 turbo as standard. Having owned an MY99 with 275bhp before I want my next scooby to be significantly quicker and have therefore set a target of 325bhp +/- 10bhp. If I can get more than that for reasonable money then all the better.

I want to achieve this result without changing or having to remove the turbo. At this point you are probably screaming search, search but depsite searches I just seem to have dug up conflicting information. There are those that claim the VF28 can't get you much above 310bhp and others that claim over 350bhp!! That's a pretty wide range

I'd appreciate a shopping list of mods that I'd need to achieve roughly 325bhp and also some indication of costs.

My current thinking is that I'd need:

* Full decat exhaust
* Uprated TMIC or a FMIC (might make 320bhp on standard TMIC??)
* 3-port solenoid
* Andy F or beg John Banks out of retirement for a remap
* Possibly uprated fuel pump
* Knocklink
* Boost gauge

I'd like the car to be in the 12s down the 1/4er mile but I don't want major lag on gear changes. My modified UK running the TD04 was obviously quick to spin again after gear changes and whilst I accept the VF28 won't be quite the same I don't want monolithic lag down country lanes everytime I change gear.
VF 28 runs out of puff at about 330bhp IIRC. Std Sti Intercooler ok at this level to AFAIK. Go for a good aftermarket filter too.

Add ported headers (helps bring the turbo in earlier and will liberate a few more ponies) get them wrapped too (helps with heat management) and you're there IMHO

Ns04

Edit: Oh, and I'd go with a sports cat Dp as opposed to dcat. Ninja sports cat DP from Scoobyworld only costs about £100 more and saves you hassle at MOT time and keeps the car completely road legal.

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 02 November 2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02 November 2006, 02:05 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

Yeah that'll just about do it, headers are a good idea and you might want to include a uprated panel filter. This was a very similar spec to my P1 on a VF28 and that managed 320bhp & just over 300lb/ft but the injectors and the turbo are nearing they're limits. I also found after the map to this level the clutch would'nt handle the torque and was slipping so it might be a good idea to cost in a uprated organic clutch.
Old 02 November 2006, 02:29 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Go for a good aftermarket filter too.
What happened to aftermarket filters and induction kits leaking filter oil onto the MAF sensor concerns. When I were a lad and had a Scooby non-standard filters were a big no-no?! Has popular opinion on this changed!

What advantages do ported headers give and how much are they? I should point out I’m not interested in losing the burble – it stays

Not overly bothered about MOT time – I have an ‘arrangement’

As always I’m looking for the best & safe bang for buck without investing mega money in the car. I always feel sorry for these peeps that spend £1000s on a car with mods that cannot be easily removed/reversed and they never see any of that back. With my 99 I bought the exhaust, sti-5 intercooler and a tek 2.5 ecu on here and sold them all when I was finished with them 18 months later for only a little less than I paid. I’m willing to ‘lose’ a little more money this time round but I certainly don’t want to be spending loads of money on items that can’t easily be removed if I wanted to revert to standard.

I’m a little sceptical that 320bhp can be achieved with just a decat and remap?! How much further could the VF28 be pushed with a FMIC?
Old 02 November 2006, 03:10 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A decat and a remap to 1.3bar should see you around that figure easily.
I have 320BHP from a UK running an STi 5 turbo, Decat and remap to 1.3bar.
Old 02 November 2006, 03:15 PM
New_scooby_04

What happened to aftermarket filters and induction kits leaking filter oil onto the MAF sensor concerns. When I were a lad and had a Scooby non-standard filters were a big no-no?! Has popular opinion on this changed!

What advantages do ported headers give and how much are they? I should point out I’m not interested in losing the burble – it stays

Not overly bothered about MOT time – I have an ‘arrangement’

As always I’m looking for the best & safe bang for buck without investing mega money in the car. I always feel sorry for these peeps that spend £1000s on a car with mods that cannot be easily removed/reversed and they never see any of that back. With my 99 I bought the exhaust, sti-5 intercooler and a tek 2.5 ecu on here and sold them all when I was finished with them 18 months later for only a little less than I paid. I’m willing to ‘lose’ a little more money this time round but I certainly don’t want to be spending loads of money on items that can’t easily be removed if I wanted to revert to standard.

I’m a little sceptical that 320bhp can be achieved with just a decat and remap?! How much further could the VF28 be pushed with a FMIC?
Filters- Yes you do have to be careful of the MAF: several are fine though: Sti std one (obviously) Green cotton, Simota, and K&N all get good reviews.

Ported headers: Do NOT remove the burble, you're thinking of equal length headers. Ported and wrapped headers smooth gas flow, allowing the turbo to spool earlier and liberating a few extra ponies. The wrapping helps reduce underbonnet temps, this is a good thing as more power creates more heat, more heat robs your power and increases the risk of det. Speak to David at Api or Harvey

TMIC 99/00 fine up to about 320 IIRC. FMIC much better though.

FYI My MY99 Uk turbo recently made 319bhp and 316 with a VF 35, ported and wrapped headers, and pretty much the other mods you're considering (smaller exhaust and sports cat in the DP though)! Do a search for "Api and BRD transformed my car" or I can send you the info.

Ns04
Old 02 November 2006, 03:34 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

i would say with the spec u are planning it would be worth changing the top mount to an uprated one (sti 8 one), 550s and a fuel pressure regulator...
Old 02 November 2006, 04:01 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

How much are we talking to have headers ported and wrapped. BTW, I've always wondered - what the hell is 'porting'? Does she feel quick NS04? It's hard trying to imagine my old car with 45-50bhp more
Old 02 November 2006, 05:59 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

320???

My sti 5 Type R made 320 and the only mod was a decat, a uprated fuel pump and fpr. Everything else was standard.
Old 02 November 2006, 06:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

My sti 5 Type R made 320 and the only mod was a decat, a uprated fuel pump and fpr. Everything else was standard.
What rollers? I'm not sufficiently clued up to dispute it but I should have said in my first post that I'd be wanted a solid 320bhp (i.e that's the lowest I'd get on rollers with higher figures on more optimistic rollers)

Have you had your car at Crail Playsatan? If so what was your time and trap?
Old 02 November 2006, 08:16 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Dastek at Dalgety Bay.

Never had it on Crail at that spec but ran it a couple of weeks before that with the cat still on and the stock pump and did a 12.9 at 107. Down to 12.0's now.
Old 02 November 2006, 08:28 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

3" Exhaust inc decat, Harvey ported headers and up pipe, intercooler tilt kit and splitter, walbro fuel pump and tek 3 remap.
The above mods will see you at the limit of the turbo and injectors, which should in the region of 320 - 330 bhp and if you do get a type r/ra with the shorther gearing it will be very quick!!
One thing i would consider though is a front entry TD05 16g, they are cheap as chips and could see you as high as 350bhp with a similar amount of torque.

Banny
Old 02 November 2006, 09:24 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Never had it on Crail at that spec but ran it a couple of weeks before that with the cat still on and the stock pump and did a 12.9 at 107.
Jesus, that is fast!! I've got to get me one of these From memory the Type-R and RA both have the short-box with the normal STI-5 having longer gearing and WRX's having the same longer gearing. I used to know all this by heart In fact, 3 years ago I could have told you the final drive of each!! <geek>

Banny the problem with changing the turbo isn't the cost of the unit but rather the cost of fitment since I can't do it myself. I'm a fairly simple tasks sort of guy Also, I prefer to push the smallest turbo I can as far as I reasonably can as I believe this gives the best driveability. Andy F generally advises this too.
Old 02 November 2006, 09:40 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Yeah, a 12 from totally standard car isn't bad.

You're right about the shorter gearing but it actually goes against you on the strip as I have to make an extra shift compared to my uk counterparts.

Mine had a vf24 at the time and lag was pratically non existant, in fact I'll probably still have the graph somewhere if you want to see it. It's pushing 411/400 now but I'll be pulling some of the go faster bits off to sell them on and fund the next stage soon. If you want I'll give you first shout on the bits and pieces seeing as you're a local boy.
Old 02 November 2006, 10:02 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, haven't got a car to put them on yet Playsatan Probably won't for a while either as i have to sell my S2000 first and seeing as its Orange and a roadster the market is somewhat limited in the dead of winter!
Old 02 November 2006, 10:03 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

This thread is encouraging - general consensus seems to be that 320bhp can be achieved with the standard intercooler and standard turbo provided you do as much else as you can to help the car along. I presume a good map will be the key and being 15 minutes from Port Seton I'm sorted in that regard
Old 03 November 2006, 09:57 AM
New_scooby_04

How much are we talking to have headers ported and wrapped. BTW, I've always wondered - what the hell is 'porting'? Does she feel quick NS04? It's hard trying to imagine my old car with 45-50bhp more
Ask David at Api about Porting and associated costs mate; it's not that expensive.

The car is very, very quick now. To put the figures in context my car now actually has a better power to weight ratio than the new Aston Martin V8 vantage!

LetsTorqueBHP - Home yields the following estimates:

0 - 60 (Secs) : 3.970 - 100 (Secs) : 10.4360 - 100 (Secs) : 6.46Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.65Terminal Speed (MPH) : 110.11Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.25Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 113.82

I'm not sure how accurate these figures are, but lets just say, I don't doubt it!!

And just think, there are people on here with 200+ more bhp and torque than I have
Old 03 November 2006, 10:31 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If I was to get a scooby again I'd want it to be in the 10s to the ton and 12s to the 1/4er accepting of course that a lauch would probably be required to achieve it Letstorque yeilds VERY encouraging figures for 320bhp classics but I'm not sure just how accurate they are. Many moons ago when John Banks UK car had 350bhp he estimated it at around 10s to 100mph then and I think he measured it too. I'd be around 30bhp down on that and I'm not convinced that the gearing would gain me back that loss.
Old 03 November 2006, 11:54 AM
New_scooby_04

If I was to get a scooby again I'd want it to be in the 10s to the ton and 12s to the 1/4er accepting of course that a lauch would probably be required to achieve it Letstorque yeilds VERY encouraging figures for 320bhp classics but I'm not sure just how accurate they are. Many moons ago when John Banks UK car had 350bhp he estimated it at around 10s to 100mph then and I think he measured it too. I'd be around 30bhp down on that and I'm not convinced that the gearing would gain me back that loss.
I don't know about the accuracy of Letstorque figures too mate; I'm not sure how many -if any- have been verified. I would imagine them to be "ballpark figures" though and, of course, the Bhp/tonne calculations are not going to change! I'm not really into drag racing- I dislike being brutal with a car, but in real world terms, I can say that you wouldn't need any more performance! There aren't many cars, other than exotica or rice rockets in an even higher state of tune that will put much distance between you and them all other things being equal.

That's not to say that you won't want any more though!

I do recall from when my car was being mapped seeing a lotus exige pulling into the lane behind me and thinking "this really isn't the time for a play, mate" However, then I was told to give it full boost in 4th. Shortly after, the Exige pulled back into the slow lane. Of course that may have been a coincidence, but it's a nice story none-the less