Notices

WRX 1993 271bhp what Modz next??

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2006, 10:23 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX 1993 271bhp what Modz next??

Im new to scoobys and just bought a 1993 WRX import ABS model, its got a full blitz nurspec 3inch system, magnex twin dump downpipe, uprated turbo upipe and a HKS induction kit..I took the car to power engineering yesterday and i hit 271BHP on the dyno and it showed 267lbs of torque..
Any suggestions on what i should upgrade next???
Old 31 October 2006, 10:29 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Fuel pump, STI injectors, STI Turbo and a different ECU
should see you to 300+ bhp on a budget.....
but remember its not the rolling road figure but how it "feels" that counts....
Old 31 October 2006, 11:10 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

someone has offered me a STi RA turbo,intercooler,injectors and the ecu out of the same car for a decent price, would these parts be a direct fit,do i need a sti RA fuel pump or any other after market fuel pump?Would these modz put any extra stress on the bottom half of the engine as ive heard alot of stories about wrx bottom ends not handling handling high boost, i use the car everyday and do alot of mileage so its got to be very reliable,what would u recomend the boost be set at??

Many thanks
Old 31 October 2006, 11:30 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 786omar
someone has offered me a STi RA turbo,intercooler,injectors and the ecu out of the same car for a decent price, would these parts be a direct fit,do i need a sti RA fuel pump or any other after market fuel pump?Would these modz put any extra stress on the bottom half of the engine as ive heard alot of stories about wrx bottom ends not handling handling high boost, i use the car everyday and do alot of mileage so its got to be very reliable,what would u recomend the boost be set at??

Many thanks
The bottom end of a scooby is always a worry weather its a sti or a wrx ....

the turbo and injectors are a direct fit as far as im aware...you may need to modify the fuel rails for the injectors... intercooler is excellent upgrade if STI 3 RA onwards, you would need slight modifications with a few pipes but is very easy and you can do it yourself. waterspray would be good too....

the injectors would be 440cc so better than what you have currently however your best bet for a fuel pump would be a walbro. you should look at getting a Fuel pressure regulator also.

if the turbo is a VF23 you will be very happy as this was an excellent all round turbo and perfect for fast road use...

reliabilty varies some peoples cars last for a very long time wheras others have sti's with less than 30k on the clock with a blown bottom end..... it really depends on how you treat your car... regular oil changes and servicing should keep it running sweetly for a while without a problem.

if your on a tight budget then these mods you have planned are perfect for rapid road car and keep reliability problems low. I wouldnt go over 1.1/1.2 bar....
Old 31 October 2006, 11:40 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

thanks 4 the advice,ill definately be buying those sti bits!ill post my new dyno results as soon as the upgrades are fitted
Old 01 November 2006, 02:07 AM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

wondering guys hwo do you read out a dyno chart from your tuner? i have a version 3 type r with downpipe/exhaust/filter/ frotn mount intercooler and emanage and i am just pushing out 230hp at the 4 wheel dyno? how come all the du\yno reading being post here has a high hp reading?
Old 01 November 2006, 07:04 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Is that 230hp at the wheels or flywheel?...if thats at the wheels thats not a bad figure,mine runs 219 at the wheels and 282 at the flywheel
Old 01 November 2006, 11:23 AM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sc0oby
wondering guys hwo do you read out a dyno chart from your tuner? i have a version 3 type r with downpipe/exhaust/filter/ frotn mount intercooler and emanage and i am just pushing out 230hp at the 4 wheel dyno? how come all the du\yno reading being post here has a high hp reading?
Most dynos give an at the fly figure which is roughly about %20-25 more than the at the wheels figure...... if you have 230 at the wheel it should be just over the 300bhp mark at the fly which is about right for your state of tune.
Old 01 November 2006, 12:38 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I cant see the point of changing the turbo. It has a TD05 as standard, which is capable of 350 bhp.....

STI ECU isnt really the way to go either as your engine internals are not STI spec. The rev limit on the STI ECU is too high for the WRX.
Old 01 November 2006, 12:39 PM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

jayallen: yes this is reading at the wheels at 1 bar boost.

R4lly: how much power lost can we expect from the flywheel when compare with to the wheels? i heard somewhere it is 40% drive train lost
Old 01 November 2006, 01:46 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's an STi of the same era i.e Pre 1996 then the Turbo and Injectors are the same and the intercooler is only marginally bigger. Not worth it IMHO.

The WRX TD05 Turbo is very capable of going beyond 300BHP. However your injectors and small intercooler will be at their limit at 300BHP.
Old 01 November 2006, 02:01 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sc0oby
jayallen: yes this is reading at the wheels at 1 bar boost.

R4lly: how much power lost can we expect from the flywheel when compare with to the wheels? i heard somewhere it is 40% drive train lost
from what i know it is around the 25% mark for 4 wheel drive cars..... 40% seems a bit too high..... IMHO though RR figures a good indictaion but are not always 100% accurate the main thing is that your happy with the car. if the performance is their on the road then that's the main thing... you'l always get different cars get different power outputs even when they have identical mods-it just depends on the dyno and the operator....
Old 01 November 2006, 02:22 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 786omar
Im new to scoobys and just bought a 1993 WRX import ABS model, its got a full blitz nurspec 3inch system, magnex twin dump downpipe, uprated turbo upipe and a HKS induction kit..I took the car to power engineering yesterday and i hit 271BHP on the dyno and it showed 267lbs of torque..
Any suggestions on what i should upgrade next???
I'm in the same position as you, I am assembling a list of parts now some bought, some on their way.
Keep the TD05, theres no need to change it unless your going over 330-350 BHP. I would do the following, and am doing it on mine:

440cc phase 1 injectors
FMIC (forget the sti top mount you were on about, you can get these just as cheap now)
Parallel fuel mod (possibly not necessary but you could do it for peice of mind)
knocklink
boost controller
ESL chip.

ESL have a chip mapped for a decat, induction kit, FMIC and 440cc injectors and a TD05 turbo. It removes the fuel cut on the ECU so you can raise boost without problems from the ECU. Its mapped for up to 1.4 bar boost on tesco99/V-power. Apparently its good for about 330BHP at 1.4 bar but be warned you are seriously pushing it with your gearbox and right on the limit of the engine at this level.

I'm planning on 1.2bar boost and hopefully 300bhp with these mods, keeping a close eye on the knocklink at all times.
Old 01 November 2006, 07:57 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

what do you think about scoobyecu.co.uk, apprently they are making decent chips for the wrx ecus, say if i got one of these chips and 440cc injectors and a fmic would i be able to get around 320bhp with my TD05(runing 1.1 boost)???
Old 01 November 2006, 08:01 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

one more thing, ive got a brand new ihi turbos vf10 turbo sitting in the back of my car,i fitted it to my car and it wasnt boosting more than 0.5bar, upon checking everyfing out it came down to a faulty actuator, no matter how much u adjust it the spring isnt stiffening up enough, any ideas if this turbo is an upgrade from a TD05 and whereabout i can find a replacement actuator??

Many thanks
Old 01 November 2006, 08:52 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Not a clue on the turbo, scoobyECU's are good, they came along way before ESL were around and ESL use basically the same maps for their off the shelf chips now.
However if you are going to run 440cc injectors and a FMIC then you need a map specific to this, not a map for 380cc injectors.
I would say you have little chance of 320bhp at 1.1bar even with those mods, probably more like 300bhp. I'd say 1.4 bar would get you to 320.

Also your gearbox will likely give up at 320bhp.
Old 01 November 2006, 09:42 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by borat52
Not a clue on the turbo, scoobyECU's are good, they came along way before ESL were around and ESL use basically the same maps for their off the shelf chips now.
However if you are going to run 440cc injectors and a FMIC then you need a map specific to this, not a map for 380cc injectors.
I would say you have little chance of 320bhp at 1.1bar even with those mods, probably more like 300bhp. I'd say 1.4 bar would get you to 320.

Also your gearbox will likely give up at 320bhp.
I'd say you don't know what you're talking about.

I'n no expert, but, there are plenty cars running 320+ with standard boxes.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't bother with an ESL chip or ScoobyECU etc. They're just generic maps with fuel/boost cut removed IIRC.

A fully mappable ECU is required, Apexi/Gems/Motec etc to get the best safely from the current mods and planned mods.

As for STI ECU which was mentioned, I'm presuming it's a Z4 ecu being referred to? It's fine on a WRX, just watch that you don't go over 7k rpm as I believe STI's can rev to 8.2k rpm, where as WRX's aren't built for that.

I may be wrong on some points, like I said I'm know expert. I'm sure someone who does know what they're talking about will reply though.
Old 01 November 2006, 11:06 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx

Personally speaking, I wouldn't bother with an ESL chip or ScoobyECU etc. They're just generic maps with fuel/boost cut removed IIRC.

A fully mappable ECU is required, Apexi/Gems/Motec etc to get the best safely from the current mods and planned mods.

As for STI ECU which was mentioned, I'm presuming it's a Z4 ecu being referred to? It's fine on a WRX, just watch that you don't go over 7k rpm as I believe STI's can rev to 8.2k rpm, where as WRX's aren't built for that.

I may be wrong on some points, like I said I'm know expert. I'm sure someone who does know what they're talking about will reply though.
I'm the first to admit I've never taken a WRX box to the point of destruction, but andy from ESL has just binned a WRX gearbox by running just over 320bhp through it, and I have read a fair few accounts on here of standard boxes giving up at this level. Every box is different though and yours may be OK with that power.

The Z4 was not an sti ECU it appeared in 95/96 WRX's and is safe to run in any pre 1996 WRX.(it may have also been used in some sti wagons but they put less power out that the saloons)
Its not a good idea to run an sti ECU in a WRX as the sti engines are quite different to the standard WRX.

As for the map, it depends on your budget and aim. The best solution is undoubtedly an apexi mapped correctly but this will set you back about a grand just for the ECU and map.

if your on a budget then the ESL chip is awesome value.
Old 01 November 2006, 11:10 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

i Agree with micky, theres many people running circa 330 bhp with no probs....all depends on how you treat your box. and an Andy F re-map and apexi ecu would be perfect.

as for the turbo the VF23 is very good. its known to make 340ish bhp at 1.4 bar and circa 320 at around 1.2.... it is also extremely responsive-excellent for fast road use. remember it was used in the fastest accelerating impreza's (Type R/RA)and of course the flagship model-22B .
Old 02 November 2006, 09:05 AM
oldhat
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by borat52
I'm planning on 1.2bar boost and hopefully 300bhp with these mods, keeping a close eye on the knocklink at all times.
Methanol injection to cure all detonation ills.
Old 02 November 2006, 10:15 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

The best solution is undoubtedly an apexi mapped correctly but this will set you back about a grand just for the ECU and map.
Depends where you go. You can pick up a second hand Apexi ECU and controller for £350 if you're lucky and when Andy F first mapped mine in April it was £282. Grand total £632, which is a good saving off £1k.
Old 02 November 2006, 12:21 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

POT, KETTLE & BLACK come to mind here.....

You start by saying that borat52 doesn't know what he's talking about, then go on to cover yourself by stating "I may be wrong on some points, like I said I'm know expert".

FYI some of the ESL and ScoobyECU maps are generic but only to vehicle model NOT generic accross the wide range of WRX, STi and UK varients.
They certainly do not just remove the boost/fuel cut.

And as someone has also mentioned above the Z4 is not an STi ECU.
STi ECU are SA, SB, 6K and 7K.
Old 02 November 2006, 05:32 PM
ESL
Scooby Regular

I'm with Scott, alot of duff info in the below, don't believe everything you hear on this BBS!

My box just let go with 327bhp but it had done 140k miles and wasn't in the rudest of health. The peak bhp figure doesnt really give you much of an indication of box life anyway, number of launch starts etc will have more of a bearing.

Mine and Scotts postal maps have to be generic to an extent because we don't get to see the car, but the standard maps retain boost cut. I can do a rescaled fuel map for bigger injectors and remove the cut for those that wish to run higher boost, but I tend to advise a trip to PTS at that stage who will maximise the ignition you can run whilst keeping the IAM at 16, tune duty cycle to meet your boost target and fine tune the fuelling.

The Z4 ECU is a 260PS ECU commonly found in the C-series WRX and GF8 (wagon) Sti2. It has soft cut rev limit at 6.8k and hard cut at 7.1k rpm, boost to 0.87bar.

HTH
Andy
ESL

Old 02 November 2006, 06:05 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

your next mod, hmmmm.. brakes !.

The standard ones will struggle to stop you.
Old 02 November 2006, 06:11 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

whats the best brake upgrade as ive been told ive got one of the worst abs models,its got standard discs and pads all round
Old 02 November 2006, 06:14 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Later WRX setup.

4pots up front and Two's on t'rear.
Old 02 November 2006, 06:32 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

'best' brake upgrade will probably cost as much as you paid for the car lol. Just go for 4pots as mentioned. You'll probably pick some up from the general sales forum here as ppl upgrade. Braided hoses will also help for the small amount of additional money they cost. You can probably pick some up off here for not very much too. Dont know what pads to recommend for an earlier classic sorry. I'm sure if you do a search you will find it, it's quite a common topic.
Old 02 November 2006, 10:50 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by ESL
I'm with Scott, alot of duff info in the below, don't believe everything you hear on this BBS!

My box just let go with 327bhp but it had done 140k miles and wasn't in the rudest of health. The peak bhp figure doesnt really give you much of an indication of box life anyway, number of launch starts etc will have more of a bearing.

Mine and Scotts postal maps have to be generic to an extent because we don't get to see the car, but the standard maps retain boost cut. I can do a rescaled fuel map for bigger injectors and remove the cut for those that wish to run higher boost, but I tend to advise a trip to PTS at that stage who will maximise the ignition you can run whilst keeping the IAM at 16, tune duty cycle to meet your boost target and fine tune the fuelling.

The Z4 ECU is a 260PS ECU commonly found in the C-series WRX and GF8 (wagon) Sti2. It has soft cut rev limit at 6.8k and hard cut at 7.1k rpm, boost to 0.87bar.

HTH
Andy
ESL
Hi Andy.

I'm not sure if what I said was mis-understood, or taken in the wrong way. Wasn't in anyway saying that your ecu chip, or the "ScoobyECU", (Don't know the name of the supplier), were bad items or to be discounted. Neither was what I said about your ECU holding a generic map meant to be derogatory.

I currently have a Z4 ECU in my car, and fuel cut doesnt occur until about 1.18bar, with a GReddy Profec boost controller.

When funds permit, I will be going down the mappable ECU route, and sorry, but not bothering with a chip.
Old 02 November 2006, 11:06 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by Scott.T
POT, KETTLE & BLACK come to mind here.....

You start by saying that borat52 doesn't know what he's talking about, then go on to cover yourself by stating "I may be wrong on some points, like I said I'm know expert".

FYI some of the ESL and ScoobyECU maps are generic but only to vehicle model NOT generic accross the wide range of WRX, STi and UK varients.
They certainly do not just remove the boost/fuel cut.

And as someone has also mentioned above the Z4 is not an STi ECU.
STi ECU are SA, SB, 6K and 7K.
Was referring to the gearbox issue. Should have phrased it better.

I never said that above ECU's were generic across the entire subaru range, maybe should have phrased that better too.

I stand corrected on the fuel/boost cut issue.

As I did say, "I'm not an expert"

Oh and it's spelt VARIANTS, by the way.
Old 02 November 2006, 11:57 PM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the info guys. yup i am happy with what i got right now. cheers