WRC Halogen Driving Lamp Kit

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2006, 10:05 AM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRC Halogen Driving Lamp Kit

Hi All,

Reference these lights from Subaru... Hope somebody can help instead of contacting Subaru directly.

Am I correct in thinking that the bypass the foglamp switch and turn on when switching to high beam? I presume they come with all the necessary wiring?

Finally, does anyone have a set fitted and how do they perform?

Many thanks,

Charlie
Old 25 October 2006, 01:06 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Mint they are m8...although would recommend you buying some covers for them as I had a stone smash the glass a year or so ago which means buying a whole new unit, not cheap.

Funny thing, I paid my dealer to do the fitting job (which wasn't cheap at million squid an hour) and they fitted it wrong, they wired it to the fog light switch wiring....this ment the fuse kept blowing and in the end the fog light wires burned out! (this was after a couple of visits to dealer to sort the problem ). I ended up re-wiring it myself to the headlight main beam wire using a 30 amp relay and up the power of the bulbs to 130 watt's (although these bulds are expensive, they actually use same power as approx 80 watt bulb)....lights up the world now.
Old 26 October 2006, 09:05 PM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate!

Best keep an eye out for some
Old 30 October 2006, 05:51 PM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swisstonihasher
Mint they are m8...although would recommend you buying some covers for them as I had a stone smash the glass a year or so ago which means buying a whole new unit, not cheap.

Funny thing, I paid my dealer to do the fitting job (which wasn't cheap at million squid an hour) and they fitted it wrong, they wired it to the fog light switch wiring....this ment the fuse kept blowing and in the end the fog light wires burned out! (this was after a couple of visits to dealer to sort the problem ). I ended up re-wiring it myself to the headlight main beam wire using a 30 amp relay and up the power of the bulbs to 130 watt's (although these bulds are expensive, they actually use same power as approx 80 watt bulb)....lights up the world now.
Hi Mate,

I was lucky enough to win a brand new set of these lights off ebay!

What 130 watt bulbs are you running with yours?

Also, I'm going to try and fit them myself, are you aware of any online instructions for newage cars? I found this site: Chiark: PIAA Light fitting and although I don't think they'll differ too much, It's for classic fitment.

Can't wait to blind those BMW drivers who persist in using their foglights in normal dark weather

Cheers,

Charlie
Old 30 October 2006, 08:55 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swisstonihasher
Where did you get the covers from, because I had a look , and you can`t get them for the driving lights. And Hella don`t do them specifically for the 1000ff series lights at all. I noticed I had quite a bad chip in one of mine when I was adjusting the beams. The dealer set them up to illuminate the 30 yds of road in front of the car, and the hedge on the passenger side like daylight.

Also Mine are plumbed into the fog relay but it is re-wired so that they only come on on main beam while the swith was in. But I think they missed a wire becuse they come on when i`m just on sidelights aswell.

Mine came with 100w Bulbs but not sure about going any higher than this. Due to the possibilty of melting the wiring. I`m sure prodrive would of tested them extensively on a standard scoob.

On the instructions front I got them from somewhere on the net, because the ones the kit come with are for the HID driving lights and you have to try and figure out which bits are relevent. I might have the photocopy somewhere I`ll have a look

Jase.
Old 31 October 2006, 11:28 AM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Barmyclown
Where did you get the covers from, because I had a look , and you can`t get them for the driving lights. And Hella don`t do them specifically for the 1000ff series lights at all. Jase.
Well I'm hoping that my current (carbon look) Impreza Fog Light covers will transfer onto the new driving lights. As they're the same size and just clip over with plastic lugs.

Or is this not the case?

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 31 October 2006, 06:00 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Charles aka Charlie
Hi Mate,

I was lucky enough to win a brand new set of these lights off ebay!

What 130 watt bulbs are you running with yours?

Also, I'm going to try and fit them myself, are you aware of any online instructions for newage cars? I found this site: Chiark: PIAA Light fitting and although I don't think they'll differ too much, It's for classic fitment.

Jammy bugger! I had to buy mine (some time ago now, over 3 years) from main dealer although I did get a little discount

Re bulbs, cant remember, but got them from Demon Tweeks motorsport mag...not cheap at time...

Re fitting, the 3 point bolt positions for classic and new age are same (looking at link diagram), wiring is a little more tricky trying to get all around inside the bumper....I just took grill off and fed a wire in series to both lamps, then to relay over by the washer tank... Good luck!

Ref the lamp covers, bought them from Scoobysport (I think) but they went bust ages ago...Erm, maybe put new topic with request for "PIAA covers required"?

PS More bad news....oe fogs for my02 was much smaller than the "rally" jobs fitted now...dont think covers of any type will go over them - although the covers and oe lights will sell easy on ebay.

Last edited by swisstonihasher; 31 October 2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01 November 2006, 11:40 AM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

Just received the lights today, ooohhh they do look nice!!!

They already have bulbs fitted, is the consensus that these are pretty naff?
As you say they do look bigger (haven't offered them up to the car yet) so will probably have to source some new covers.

At first glance, they also come with some decent/relevant instructions for switch and relay fitting (for actual Halogen lights and not Gas Discharge as others have mentioned).

Cheers for all you help!

Charlie
Old 02 November 2006, 01:05 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

The lenses look mint dont they, almost clear!

No need change them as think standards are high power, low watt usage Phillips jobs, I just wanted more to see the world!

If instructions give you correct wire to use from steering console, then all it takes is time and effort...enjoy.