Notices

RB5 front passenger squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2006, 08:37 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy RB5 front passenger squeaking noise

I've had this issue on and off for a year now and it's driving me nuts. Only way to describe it is like an old door squeaking in a ghost movie. The noise changes at different speeds and above 50 mph you can't hear it!

So far changed: -

Springs
Shockers
Brakes
Pads
Steering rack mounts (yes that's right) It would appear that someone (not saying who but there rollers used to read low ) left the bolts loose on the mounts and the steering rack started moving over a few years, wearing the mount away.

And the noise sort of went away. We jacked the car up today to check the wheel bearings; it would appear someone has left the drive shaft nut loose (but knocked the tab over) the play was unbelievable. Wheel was moving up and down 1/2 inch or so. And to think how I'd been driving lately Anyway, we tightened the nut up and all the ****ing noises came back

Car has been running around like this for at least 6 months, but only gets driving every other weekend at the most. I reckon the bearings will need replacing now, even if they aren't worn?

Car sounds like it needs to be scrapped. BTW, a mate of mine who used to work for Pro-drive on the rally team hasn't got a clue. Suggested the steering rack mounts after discovering the steering rack mounts were worn away. He said the anti roll bar mounts are worn, but I'm not convinced this is the problem I've got.

I'm at my wits end with the thing and really could do with someone that knows what they are talking a look over it. I live around the Bristol area and am desperate to get to the bottom of this annoying squeak / noise.

Really pissed off Phill