Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2006, 09:53 AM
Murray
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU/Turbo/Engine Question..Again..sorry

Hello all,

Sorry to 'go on'..........

Situation: The big end on my UK EJ20 engine went. (1996 Wagon)

I replaced the Engine with an Imported EJ20 Engine that came with a U8 ECU (I was told the engine was from a 1996 car, but now I understand the U8 ECU is a 1993/1994 car....still working on that one). The engine came with no turbo, so I swapped over my TD04 turbo from my engine. (The import would have been running a TD05 turbo)

Now I ask, should I run with my UK ECU, or use the U8 ECU? The guys who sold me the engine are telling me I should run the U8 ECU becuase of the ignition timing or something...

I honestly do not know, I though the engines were the same......and since I only have my TD04 turbo I should run with my car's std ECU.

Thanks Again..
Old 10 October 2006, 10:24 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure the turbo you have is a TD04? a 96 (4plug ecu) should run a TD05.

You would be best running an ecu to match the turbo and cams etc.. but the cams in the 92~96 uk and WRX not dissimilar.. so you need to make sure you are running an ecu to match the turbo..

If you do have a TD04 then you need an ecu from a 92~96 WRX Wagon as that was the only Impreza of that year with a TD04.

This all assumed you have a phase 1 car and therefore a 4 plug ecu
Simon
Old 10 October 2006, 11:20 AM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a WRX wagon ECU spare, replaced it with a 'z5' abot 6 months ago when I changed the turbo. PM me if your interested in it and i'll be happy to sell and post it for a very reasonable price.
will
Old 10 October 2006, 12:19 PM
Murray
Scooby Regular

Default Still confused..

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Are you sure the turbo you have is a TD04? a 96 (4plug ecu) should run a TD05.

You would be best running an ecu to match the turbo and cams etc.. but the cams in the 92~96 uk and WRX not dissimilar.. so you need to make sure you are running an ecu to match the turbo..

If you do have a TD04 then you need an ecu from a 92~96 WRX Wagon as that was the only Impreza of that year with a TD04.

This all assumed you have a phase 1 car and therefore a 4 plug ecu
Simon
I do not know which ecu is currently fitted to my car as I have not yet dug her out.....my car is a UK Wagon 1996 (pre-facelift) 2.0ltr turbo
running a td04 turbo...

the bigends went......I got hold of a WRX engine from (I was told a 1996 car, but now it seems to be a 1994 car) but the engine did not have a turbo fitted.

I have dropped the engine in and put my turbo on (I also had to change the knock and crank sensors over because the harness was different...)

Now, the ECU that came with the engine is an U8.

Will I harm the engine if I run with my UK ECU (to match the turbo?) or do I need to source a TD05 turbo and use the U8 ECU?

Thanks

H
Old 10 October 2006, 02:16 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

You should be fine running the new engine with the existing ecu as it will be matched. The U8 I believe was the first ecu on the scoobs and was for a saloon with a td05 turbo, so if you used that its out of spec, and also it would probably mean running the car on high octane fuel only
Old 10 October 2006, 05:26 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

Have you identified the cause of the big end failure on the old engine ? If you haven't then your new one might go the same way.
Old 10 October 2006, 07:19 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

As mentioned on your other thread, it seems odd that someone with a UK wagon would retro-fit a TD04 turbo when it came supplied with a TD05 originally.

There are a few possible reasons for this, one might be that the engine (complete with turbo) has been swapped in the past with a JDM import wagon. Running this setup on a UK ECU would probably cause boost spikes in the mid range, which in turn would probably result in dead big ends eventually...

Assuming that you have 100% correctly identified the turbo, it would be useful to correctly identify the ECU currently in the car to try to understand your existing set up. It only takes five minutes to check your ECU... I would honestly recommend you do this to find out what you have got! (I would also recommend opening up the ECU in your car to find out if it has been "chipped" in the past... do this with the U8 also).
Old 10 October 2006, 07:43 PM
Murray
Scooby Regular

Exclamation Okay.......sorted it

Okay all,

Thank you all for the advice............right........I have taken the part number off my turbo and called the guys at Roger Clarke Engineers...it IS a TD05 turbo...happy happy, joy, joy......one of the guys at the breakers yard told me it was a TD04......sorry for all the confusion, but if it wasn't for you lot I never would have checked..... ..phew....

Okay, the engine I have is from a 1994 WRX import, the gearbox and diff I also got is from the 1996 WRX..hence the misunderstanding....the breakers are going to extent the warrantee.....that explaines why I had to play about with the knock and cam sensors...and add the purge valve solenoid

Okay....My orignally ECU is a 7D....I have not yet opened it up....the ECU that came with the engine is an U8.......which should I run? I think I can run either......7D should give me the basic UK car (210bhp?) the U8 should change things to a about 240BHP? correct? or should I run the U8 regardless because th engine is an import?

Thanks for all the help.....

H
Old 10 October 2006, 08:23 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

either.. uk ecu will be safe on super unleaded though.

I think you just spent all day investigating what we all told you in the first place.. lol

Simon
Old 10 October 2006, 10:33 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

:-)

^^^^

What he said
Old 10 October 2006, 11:10 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sprint Chief
As mentioned on your other thread, it seems odd that someone with a UK wagon would retro-fit a TD04 turbo when it came supplied with a TD05 originally.

thought the wagons came with a td04
Old 11 October 2006, 10:30 AM
Murray
Scooby Regular

Default Roger Clarke

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
After a long conversation with roger clarke and some searching on this site (and the fact Jolly Green is always right)

UK Wagon = TD05
Import Wagon = should be TD04, but there are some TD05.....

I'm happy now becasue I can run the U8 ECU on the new engine which should give me a little BHP.....
Old 11 October 2006, 10:39 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
WRX Wagon yes.. not the UK.. UK got the TD05.
Old 11 October 2006, 10:40 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Murray
(and the fact Jolly Green is always right)
not according to my wife..
Old 11 October 2006, 10:47 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

lol