Notices

Hesitation when accelerating -need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2006, 06:02 PM
Smokey Cambell
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation when accelerating -need help please!

Hi, I'm experiencing what I think is a pretty common problem on here and am stumped as what to do next. In 3rd, 4th or 5th gear at 2500rpm if I plant the accelerator there is nothing, it's like hitting a brick wall and the car is juddering slightly, as the revs build up things get better. If I'm accelerating up through the gears it's not too bad but still noticable. I've re-set the ecu (code said there was no problems with any sensors) and changed the spark plugs (still the same). I've visually checked the coil packs and they seem to be OK, no cracking or anything noticable and the oil level is OK. I'm going to clean out the boost solenoid once it's stopped raining but after this god knows. It's a MY00 classic (60k miles) with full de-cat and ITG panel filter, no other mods, the only problems I've had in the 3 yrs I've had it were 1 1/2yrs ago with a dodgy / dirty fuel batch, I gave the car an Italian MOT (drove as fast as possible in every gear) and after about 40mins blew whatever obstruction clear and it was fine. My wife recently left the car to go down to the fuel light and filled it up with normal unleaded, I just came home from offshore and the hilarity started. If anyone has any other pointers on what else I could do or point me in the direction of cleaning out the fuel lines / filter it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Martin
Old 06 October 2006, 06:58 PM
hull sti
Scooby Regular

hi mate my 94 sti was doing the same it was spark plugs are ur plugs set to the corect gap? another problem ive had like this is when i filled up on bp ultimate
Old 06 October 2006, 07:11 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

maf sensor problem
Old 06 October 2006, 10:22 PM
gws73
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
maf sensor problem
Could well be. My MAF was fcuked on my MY99 and it ran like a pile of sh*te - no fault codes showed up with the ecu reset either.... Bought a new one and the problem went away

If you have owned the car for 3 years and never changed the MAF, it might be worth doing it anyway. They are notoriously weak on the MY99/00 cars.

Could also be a lambda problem.
Old 06 October 2006, 10:54 PM
Smokey Cambell
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I did wonder when I took off the air box about the MAF sensor, it didn't look like what I expected, I thought it was supposed to be a metal wire / sponge type contraption, all I have is what looks like a plastic electrical connector!!! Is there any way of testing the MAF sensor myself, it doesn't really look as though there is much to clean! As for the plugs I checked them before installing them and they were 0.7mm so hopefully it's not them. I'll clean the boost solenoid tomorrow and fingers crossed all will be OK.
Old 07 October 2006, 01:24 AM
gws73
Scooby Regular

No real way of checking the MAF - unless you know someone with an MY99/00 that you could borrow one off.
Old 07 October 2006, 11:12 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I had an intermittent misfire on my '98 car after new plugs. Turned out to be one of the plug leads damaged. A new one cured it.

Also, at 2500rpm, the turbo isbn't really spooled up, so you'd expect not a lot from the car........

Alcazar

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2006, 11:43 AM
timchump
Scooby Regular

i reckon its the maf sensor, i have read alot about them failing on MY99/00 cars, especially with the itg filter, as it is oil based and the oil gets sucked out of the filter and covers the MAF and stops it working properly,

i would change the MAF and get rid of the ITG filter, i just spent £2500 on an engine rebuild due to MAF failure on my MY99
had similar problems to what your descibing and ran an itg filter for a short time.
Old 07 October 2006, 07:10 PM
gws73
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timchump
i reckon its the maf sensor, i have read alot about them failing on MY99/00 cars, especially with the itg filter, as it is oil based and the oil gets sucked out of the filter and covers the MAF and stops it working properly,

i would change the MAF and get rid of the ITG filter, i just spent £2500 on an engine rebuild due to MAF failure on my MY99
had similar problems to what your descibing and ran an itg filter for a short time.
Same here mate - MY99 £2000 rebuild due to MAF failure.....