Notices

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2001, 07:25 PM
SCOOBERATORS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I filled up with optimax for the 1st time the other day. Since then i am having boost problems. The boost seems to be waving up and down from 15-20 psi,I have the link ecu fitted and maybe it doesn't work well with it.Help
Old 22 November 2001, 09:41 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

I got the link and I rekon it runs better on SUL. Optimax seems to make it run a bit rough. It may be because BR set it up specifically for SUL I dont know but SUL seems better.
Old 22 November 2001, 07:10 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Yes you will need to re-tune the link for higher octane fuel.
Old 27 November 2001, 04:34 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Surely giving it better RON fuel should not necessitate a new map unless you want to get further power by advancing timing/increasing boost?

If Optimax were merely a higher RON, surely the existing map should run quite happily, just not be releasing the maximum power from the engine.

I personally am starting to have serious doubts about Optimax. If I put it in my MY00 with backbox and K&N induction kit it lights up my knocklink MUCH more than Esso or Shell SUL.

Nick.
Old 27 November 2001, 05:17 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

nick, your logic is indeed correct. Using higher octane fuel without a remap should just mean you are not taking advantage of teh greater advance you should be able to run.

I always wonder if people are giving optimax enough time. The detergents are supposed to be stronger in optimax. Is it not possible that teh first few tanks are concerned with cleaning the crap out of the engine by burning it?
Old 27 November 2001, 05:29 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Which is odd....

as my Knocklink lights up like a Christmas tree when I've had to use BP & Esso SUL and yet it's rare for it to light up when using Optimax!

My car uses a Link ECU and is mapped to run Optimax.

Old 27 November 2001, 09:15 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

And mine lights up like a Christmas Tree, Oxford Street and Heathrow Airport when it's on Optimax, but goes strangely quiet with Esso......

Esso's best
Old 01 December 2001, 08:22 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm in the Andy Tang school of Optimax/Link usage.

Also when I first used Optimax on my Link tuned car (no remap) it didn't light up, run crap or make me lose my boost control,

As hard as I can think, there is nothing that seems to directly link fuel and boost control behavious on the Link - but thereagain I don't know much

Trout