Notices

Malfuction Indicator lamp - is this serious?

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2006, 09:01 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Malfuction Indicator lamp - is this serious?

Think i initialy posted in the wrong section..anyway:

The OBD malfunction indicator lamp came on to day whilst driving on my 04 wrx:

refered to the manual which indicates that there is a problem somewhere in the emission control system and that service is required.

Manual also states the following:

If the malfunction indicator lamp comes on whilst driving, we recommend that you have your vehicle checked/repaired by your Subaru dealear as soon as possible. Continued vehicle operation without having the emission control system checked and repaired as necessary could cause serious damage.

Im a little worried as I have to use the car to get to work and back for the next few days and the only time I can have the car checked is on the weekend. Don't fancy taking it to subaru as the car is far from standard and don't wanna get ripped off (spec: ).

Looking at getting the car booked in tomorrow at ProSport Subaru authorised performance service centre.

Is there any immediate danger? has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks all

Peace

Last edited by morpheus1870; 27 September 2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 28 September 2006, 02:22 AM
scoobywrxuk300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile light

Originally Posted by morpheus1870
Think i initialy posted in the wrong section..anyway:

The OBD malfunction indicator lamp came on to day whilst driving on my 04 wrx:

refered to the manual which indicates that there is a problem somewhere in the emission control system and that service is required.

Manual also states the following:

If the malfunction indicator lamp comes on whilst driving, we recommend that you have your vehicle checked/repaired by your Subaru dealear as soon as possible. Continued vehicle operation without having the emission control system checked and repaired as necessary could cause serious damage.

Im a little worried as I have to use the car to get to work and back for the next few days and the only time I can have the car checked is on the weekend. Don't fancy taking it to subaru as the car is far from standard and don't wanna get ripped off (spec: ).

Looking at getting the car booked in tomorrow at ProSport Subaru authorised performance service centre.

Is there any immediate danger? has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks all

Peace

The light can come on for various faults..not just meaning services required...
my light has recently come on twice...1st cure was fitting new spark plugs, light on again now, i think a sensor is faulting...booked in at scoobyclinic...
i believe if a serious problem your ecu will put your car into limp mode, meaning what it means, limp home.. to protect engine. i might be wrong but if not in limp mode then your ecu will have backed off timing, richer fueling etc...im no expert, but the fault if its a sensored part, will show up on ecu diagnostic device... good luck and happy scoobying