MY05 STi - Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2006, 01:07 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 STi - Oil Question

Hi Guys,

Just checked my oil level, and its showing half way between the L hole and the F hole. I havent had to top the scoob up since i got it (2006 MY05 - 4mnths old) and was wondering what Oil im best to top up with.

Expense isnt really an issue, i just want the good stuff (whatever that may be).

Whats the recommendations? I also heard i have to be really careful not to overfill as the scoobs really dont like this.

How many litres will i be expecting to need (bearing in mind the dipstick shows it being half way between full and low) and will this be doing the engine any damage currently?

The car has now done 4500miles (is it normal to go through this much oil in this time? - first service was done @ 900miles)

Sorry if the questions are basic, im new to this and dont wanna mess it up.

Tnx in advance.
Old 27 September 2006, 02:40 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Hi, better safe then sorry, oil is important if its the right type used and topping up

be aware that the oil level should be between the low and full if the oil is cold, it will expand when it gets hot and should be on the full mark when hot, so check the level when the oil is hot say after a drive, let the car cool down half an hour and then check the oil level, also make sure the car is level on ground.

I think its a common mistake by some to check when cold and then oh im missing oil better top up, and you have infact overfilled when the oil gets hot

For the recommended oil ask what they used where you got it serviced

Im sure others will be along soon recommending
Old 27 September 2006, 08:59 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by marmski
Hi Guys,

Just checked my oil level, and its showing half way between the L hole and the F hole. I havent had to top the scoob up since i got it (2006 MY05 - 4mnths old) and was wondering what Oil im best to top up with.

Expense isnt really an issue, i just want the good stuff (whatever that may be).

Whats the recommendations? I also heard i have to be really careful not to overfill as the scoobs really dont like this.

How many litres will i be expecting to need (bearing in mind the dipstick shows it being half way between full and low) and will this be doing the engine any damage currently?
Oil level should be as yours is showing when the engine is cold. Check it when hot and it will be slightly higher.
The car has now done 4500miles (is it normal to go through this much oil in this time? - first service was done @ 900miles)

Sorry if the questions are basic, im new to this and dont wanna mess it up.

Tnx in advance.
Between L and F is fine when cold. Check it when the oil is hot. Do not fill to F when engine is cold
Old 28 September 2006, 01:54 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To top up with a 10w-40 se4mi is fine as the chances are that is whats in it at the moment till the run in is finished, once run in is complete or at first service you can use a 5w-40 full synthetic.

Cheers

Guy.
Old 28 September 2006, 02:15 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Sorry but this oil checking advice above IMO is completely wrong.

You check oil when cold.
L is the minimum it should be when cold
F is the maximum it should be when cold
There is a notch above the F which is an indication of the maximum it should be when hot.
Old 28 September 2006, 08:23 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Sorry but this oil checking advice above IMO is completely wrong.

You check oil when cold.
L is the minimum it should be when cold
F is the maximum it should be when cold
There is a notch above the F which is an indication of the maximum it should be when hot.
This is what it says in the manual, so must be right. Page 11-16 I think in the WRX book.

(I only know 'cos I did mine today)