Notices

ht leads, coil pack plugs...help

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2006, 10:44 PM
clc1100
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ht leads, coil pack plugs...help

Hi, thought you guys might be able to cast some experience and advise on this poor story of mine.

Basically bought a 99 classic turbo with PPP fitted at birth. Now the exhaust system that was on the car was way toop loud so took it off and replaced with the prodrive sytem all bar the downpipe as i could get the thing off for love nor money. The downpipe on the car at mo is one that has two pipes that run from the top of the downpipe and down about 12-14 inches and back into the pipe (perhaps my mum could have explained better) basically the prodrive downpipe has a blanking plate welded on at the top and the one at the mo has teo pipes running down the side of the downpipe.

Now. certainly at first didnt notice any problems but my car is now missing occassionally on tickover and splutters and losses poewr quite badly sometimes when booting it.

I have replaced the ht leads a week ago. First question is does my scooby need particular leads as it has the ppp or just turbo ht leads? I have also replaced the spark plugs but not sure with what ones as my uncle ( a mechanic about 40 years ago) just came back with the stuff and started replacing things. What spark plugs should i be using?

oh the ht leads certainly needing replacing as on a dark damp night a light show of leaping sparks could be seen. Replaced them thinking this would be the prob and ....well no joy either.

The car needs help aswell as myself.

Coilpacks seemed to be mentioned aroumd these issues perhaps i will check the coil packs and change the downpipe.

SAny suggestions would be very very very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Dave.
Old 22 September 2006, 11:35 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by clc1100
Hi, thought you guys might be able to cast some experience and advise on this poor story of mine.

Basically bought a 99 classic turbo with PPP fitted at birth. Now the exhaust system that was on the car was way toop loud so took it off and replaced with the prodrive sytem all bar the downpipe as i could get the thing off for love nor money. The downpipe on the car at mo is one that has two pipes that run from the top of the downpipe and down about 12-14 inches and back into the pipe (perhaps my mum could have explained better) basically the prodrive downpipe has a blanking plate welded on at the top and the one at the mo has teo pipes running down the side of the downpipe.

Now. certainly at first didnt notice any problems but my car is now missing occassionally on tickover and splutters and losses poewr quite badly sometimes when booting it.

I have replaced the ht leads a week ago. First question is does my scooby need particular leads as it has the ppp or just turbo ht leads? I have also replaced the spark plugs but not sure with what ones as my uncle ( a mechanic about 40 years ago) just came back with the stuff and started replacing things. What spark plugs should i be using?

oh the ht leads certainly needing replacing as on a dark damp night a light show of leaping sparks could be seen. Replaced them thinking this would be the prob and ....well no joy either.

The car needs help aswell as myself.

Coilpacks seemed to be mentioned aroumd these issues perhaps i will check the coil packs and change the downpipe.

SAny suggestions would be very very very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Dave.
Oh dear, you are in need of some advice.

Answers to easy questions:
1) Plugs - NGK PFR6b or PFR7b (they're platinum ones)
2) HT leads - nope, "normal" ones will do as long as they're a good quality. I bought Magnecor ones. No cheap rubbish please.

First thing to do is check what plugs you have. Make sure they're right.

Next thing to do is to check your ECU for error codes. If you don't yet know about that, you'll find out on this site:

http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co.uk/

Also on that website is the car manuals in PDF format. If you have error codes go to the section on the fuel injection system. This tells you where to find the sensors and how to check them. There's loads of info on Scoobynet as well.

That should get you off to a good start.
Old 23 September 2006, 10:40 AM
clc1100
Scooby Regular

Thanks David much appreciated reply.

Right i have checked the spark plugs and thankfully they are PFr6b so alls good there.

Your next step was to check the ecu readings, i have read through the saxonfields info but unfortunately the relevant pictures are missing so not really sure how to connect the read memory sensors up.

I will keep reading and try and work it out but any info would be good thanks.

Cheers in advance.

Dave
Old 23 September 2006, 12:18 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

I just emailed you everything you need!
Old 23 September 2006, 09:35 PM
clc1100
Scooby Regular

David Your the man.

Just finished work 9pm so i will give the ecu thing a go tomorrow.

Cheers nuch appreciated.

Regards Dave
Old 26 September 2006, 06:38 PM
clc1100
Scooby Regular

Hi David and everyone else who can help.

done a check on the ecu. Connected the black connectors together and got an error code of 53 which according to the code list is "fuel pump or circuit"

what exactly does this mean? Is the fuel caput or need of attention and what does ciruit mean?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks loads

Dave

sorry should have said the car is 99 turbo with ppp. The car stumbles under hard acceleration on occassions. Not all the time but certainly enough to annoy and even losses power quite considerably when really been driven in say 4th 5th. Thanks

Last edited by clc1100; 26 September 2006 at 06:40 PM.