Notices

anyone fitted a vent above the downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2006, 10:11 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone fitted a vent above the downpipe

As per title, has anyone fitted a vent/ mini scoop next to the intercooler scoop above the turbo heatshield and if so what effects if any on performance?
I know nothing about thermodynamics (if thats the correct word) What iam thinking is the heat will obviously rise from the turbo and will try to find the nearest escape route which would be the intercooler scoop. Now with the heat trying to escape from there, I imagine this will get mixed up with fresh air going through the top mount which will heat the incoming air slighty. This would be worse when stationary for a set period of time like when in traffic as the top mount would be getting heated more.

Would there be any performance gain do you think if a scoop was fitted so that cold air was channelled onto the turbo therefore cooling it. Do you think this would have a positive effect on cooling the charge air or would it be minimal.

Sorry for the long post but just thinking out aloud.
Old 08 September 2006, 11:22 AM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

Cool

sounds logical to me, if it was a forward scoop as per intercooler at speed cold air would be forced over turbo which would decrease temp very slightly ( air not a good heat transfer medium ) additionally to a certain extent the hot air generated by DP would be pushed out the bottom of engine bay instead of distributing itself around the engine bay.

other option would be reversed scoop which would allow hot air to rise & be sucked out by the venturi effect of ambient air passing over scoop ( when moving) & creating a low pressure region this hot air would then exit into the cold ambient air.

obviously if the cars stationary neither will be particularily effective.

personnaly I think the reversed scoop would look better but thats only cause I think normal scoops look very "tarts handbag" to me. I've seriously considered a FMIC just so I could either ditch the existing scoop or reverse it for a novelty !

SS
Old 08 September 2006, 11:31 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Im thinking it would help when stationary though as most of the hot air would be escaping throught the downpipe scoop and not through the intercooler scoop, so there would be less hot air heating up the intercooler body
Old 08 September 2006, 12:13 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure what intercooler you using now Jay but the early one did this already..

You are better off getting a turbo blanket and wrapping the downpipe though.

Simon
Old 08 September 2006, 12:20 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon, hoping for a fmic in the not to distant future, just had a new radiator delivered today as the other one failed again! (got new this time)

Just a bit bored at work, so was just interested in what people thought. My main thinking was seperating the two if you know what I mean so the heat from the turbo/downpipe is channelled in a seperate vent/scoop so the temps around the intercooler are reduced, thinking this would help more whilst stationary in traffic
Old 08 September 2006, 01:52 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaytc2003

Just a bit bored at work, so was just interested in what people thought. My main thinking was seperating the two if you know what I mean so the heat from the turbo/downpipe is channelled in a seperate vent/scoop so the temps around the intercooler are reduced, thinking this would help more whilst stationary in traffic
This is actually done on the early classics....the main scoop takes in air and channels it down a metal heatshield around the turbo.
Old 08 September 2006, 02:02 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

The later classics have a vent from the scoop to above the Turbo too (although it is not "connected" to the turbo).