Notices

Heat and loss of turbo pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2006, 02:21 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat and loss of turbo pressure

Is it just me or does everyone suffer form loss of pressure after being in slow moving traffic for a few minutes ?

It on the motorway at 70MPH no problems with the pressure being there when I slow down and boot it again, usually peaking at about 20psi dropping back to 17psi at high revs.

but, if it slow to a standstill or go slowly round town etc (for several minutes)and then hit a slip road... I am usually only get about 16psi dropping back to about 14psi.

and if I am stuck in traffic (not moving) for a few minutes and then boot it I have had as little as 14psi dropping to 12psi at high revs.

After a few mins at motorway speeds all returns to normal again.

I have a MY05 STI PPP...is this normal or am I experiencing a slipght problem ? if so what could it be as I am in for a service again soon and would like to them some ideas to work with

Cheers
Old 06 September 2006, 02:41 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

It's built into the ecu. If intake temps begin to imcrease, the ecu backs off the boost until temps return to normal. It's just looking after your engine for you
Old 06 September 2006, 07:44 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steppler
It's built into the ecu. If intake temps begin to imcrease, the ecu backs off the boost until temps return to normal. It's just looking after your engine for you
Cheers for the info. but should it be so much of a variance ?
Old 06 September 2006, 07:52 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure how much it should vary, but i think mine is similar to yours. I have a MY02 Wrx PPP. I normally peak at around 1.35bar (20psi in 3rd gear) in normal running temps, if i am stuck in traffic for a while i normally only hit around 1 bar (14.9 psi!!!). However i don't give it much throttle anyway after been stuck in traffic for a long time. It's not very good for the engine apparently

HTH

Mark