Notices

Subaru approved performance Air filters

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2006, 02:07 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru approved performance Air filters

Went to the dealership yesterday for a new OEM paper filter and they have a flyer for Pipercross Panel, open amd Carbon filters available from them. Asked about waranty and they say if it is Subaru supplied I can use it.

I have gone for the Panel filter (dry Foam) which was quoted as £45 supplied and fitted, but askjed for the item price only from the spares desk so I could fit it myself.........wait for it.................£16 !!!!!! bought and fitted inside 1 minute. I used to have an STI one about 6 months ago and must say I think this ones is better. Induction noise is definately up from about 4k rpm upwards, and sounds quite angry. Seems a bit more lively too. They said that the pipercross tests returned a 10BHP increase over a standard filter. This is only for use on the WRX and the STI (with our without PPP).

I have asked fo a price on the Carbon Viper filter with forced air incuction, but not received a call yet. Not sure about this as I remember stories of cars leaning too much at higher speeds when using these a couple of years ago and needing remaps to use safely, so I will probably give this a miss rather than melt a piston or two !
Old 06 September 2006, 02:10 PM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

Wich scooby is this for?
Old 06 September 2006, 02:12 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

wrx and sti. mine is a MY05 STI PPP
Old 06 September 2006, 06:34 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not all Scoobs, the filters are all the same size! Are you sure it's not supposed to be oiled (replacement panel filters from Pipercross in the Dem. Tweeks cat. are! and they're £32.99!) Only for WRX/STi tells me they're not suitable for earlier models due to the MAF issues with oiled filters? Maybe I'm wrong, but I worry
JohnD
Old 06 September 2006, 07:05 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

LOL, I was in a dealers a few weeks back and they had their A4 flyer advertising the pipercross filter at the service desk. It said a 5 bhp gain.

Maybe your dealers filter gives another 5

On a side note, say hyperthectically that your engine blew and on inspection Subaru found a pipercross filter in there, I wonder where you stand on your warranty ?
Old 06 September 2006, 07:41 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Why not all Scoobs, the filters are all the same size! Are you sure it's not supposed to be oiled (replacement panel filters from Pipercross in the Dem. Tweeks cat. are! and they're £32.99!) Only for WRX/STi tells me they're not suitable for earlier models due to the MAF issues with oiled filters? Maybe I'm wrong, but I worry
JohnD
Definately a dry foam filter, reusable and is cleaned in warm soapy water and left to dry naturally. It says on the pack, uses upto 6 layers of foam with varying porosity in the direction of air flow. Dealership said never use an oiled filter that is why they chose to use this Pipercross filter.