Notices

HELP!! weird revs .............

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2006, 08:05 PM
spaspeckerthedull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! weird revs .............

been searching the forums and couldn't find anything like this so here goes ..

I have a my94 wrx and have noticed over the last couple of weeks that the rev counter has been behaving strangely, just now came home down the motorway doing 80mph and the rev counter was sat on 2000rpm (seems a bit low) in 5th gear. Gave it a bit of boost up to about 95mph (good stretch, no babylon, no cameras purely for *ahem* test reasons) and when I let it go back to 80 the rev counter was at 4000rpm for the rest of the journey at 80?? I've also noticed that sometimes when I boost it hard in 2nd/3rd gear the rev needle FLIES up to the redline like the car isn't even in gear, and sometimes it doesn't go up half as quick although the acceleration is there as normal.The clutch ISN'T slipping and is in good condition as it's fairly new.

Could this be electrical related? - does anyone have any ideas as it's driving me mad and I need to know if the car's ok
Old 27 August 2006, 08:21 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

have you replaced the face dials? I did mine last year (winter time) and I have noticed when we had the hot weather that sometimes the dial would stick.
Old 27 August 2006, 08:24 PM
spaspeckerthedull
Scooby Regular

nope - completely stock
Old 27 August 2006, 09:46 PM
DShox
Scooby Regular

sounds like one of your sensors has gone off the boil. u could make something of it by fitting a digital read out or a HUD!
Old 28 August 2006, 03:03 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spaspeckerthedull
been searching the forums and couldn't find anything like this so here goes ..

I have a my94 wrx and have noticed over the last couple of weeks that the rev counter has been behaving strangely, just now came home down the motorway doing 80mph and the rev counter was sat on 2000rpm (seems a bit low) in 5th gear. Gave it a bit of boost up to about 95mph (good stretch, no babylon, no cameras purely for *ahem* test reasons) and when I let it go back to 80 the rev counter was at 4000rpm for the rest of the journey at 80?? I've also noticed that sometimes when I boost it hard in 2nd/3rd gear the rev needle FLIES up to the redline like the car isn't even in gear, and sometimes it doesn't go up half as quick although the acceleration is there as normal.The clutch ISN'T slipping and is in good condition as it's fairly new.

Could this be electrical related? - does anyone have any ideas as it's driving me mad and I need to know if the car's ok
now then mate... ive had a similar thing to you, well regarding the whole boost thing. 2nd and 3rd on mine on full boost, say overtaking or setting off fast... where the hell does all the power go. needles shoots to 7000rpm like mad and theres nothing there to show for it. i think personally my clutch is slipping but your experience sounded very familiar. i havent experienced 2000rpm at 80mph however... thats diesel revs that. when you were travelling at 2000 and 4000 did the engine make any more noise so as to suggest it was working harder? otherwise i would go with the sticking needle. my speedo needle vibrates slightly but the rpm one stays still... maybe the age.

oh and ive got a full decat too now mate... a little off topic... but after hearing yours that day, i was hooked.

andy.

p.s. hope you get your problem sorted anywho, i might just go for a new clutch!!!
Old 31 August 2006, 08:46 PM
spaspeckerthedull
Scooby Regular

anybody know what sensors to look for and where they might be??
Old 09 September 2006, 09:45 AM
spaspeckerthedull
Scooby Regular

nobody got any idea then??

Trending Topics

Old 09 September 2006, 11:14 PM
spaspeckerthedull
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 11 September 2006, 10:58 PM
vessy
Scooby Regular

It's sounding like the gauge sticking, there are 2 sensors used for engine speed, Cam and Crank, if these were faulty then the car wouldn't run, these sensors feed the ecu for fueling and ignition, the ecu feeds the signal to the rev gauge.